Chicken Guard coop door wires keep breaking…

Frankiegirl

Crowing
May 3, 2020
SW Michigan
A935F65E-3A39-4DC7-A281-BFFBAB010369.jpeg 23EDEB3F-98A3-40B6-92A8-28F745CAE632.jpeg 1370161B-D7B8-4F76-8AE9-E2E70FB1992D.jpeg
Hi all and hoping to get some feedback from anyone using the ChickenGuard Extreme door. I have been using mine since December of 2020 and have had a number of issues. My run is covered so it doesn’t get pounded by the elements other than temperature and I am the only person to handle the device and have done so with extreme care.

1- the batteries die in 60-90 days. I don’t mind that too much since I elected to have a non electric device. That said I would have thought the batteries might have lasted a bit longer. Leads me to the bigger issues…

2- the wiring is terribly fragile and breaks. Has anyone else had this problem. I do not handle the unit aggressively and the wires have either cracked on the casing or have completely severed. I understand that the wires are smaller and a bit more delicate, but for a farm type of application and the fact that the unit is being jostled regularly to change batteries, the unit needs to be handled more than I would like. I am on the second unit where the battery wires have broken.

3- wires cracked on the motor too. I brought this up to the CG service person who was friendly, but said that the wires were cracked because i handled the unit and it was my issue. They offered to price a new motor. I just need the wires. The mechanics of the hardware are fine.

4- string slips the spool and messes with he door. I had to disassemble the unit to rewind the string around the spool. Again, the wires are being handled more than they should but for the unit to work properly, it needs to be taken apart which causes the wires to weaken. Also…the string should not slip….

When the issues started they were helpful after sending proof pictures that I didn’t manhandle the device and break it. They sent a replacement unit at no cost. I was very appreciative. 6 weeks later, one of the leads to the battery plug broke again!

I found replacement battery wires and 2 pin wires on Amazon and am happy to attempt to re soder the new leads but not sure if they are the right leads.

I guess I’m sending this out to vent a little frustration, see if anything has an idea on how to fix it or have had similar problems.

I have emailed CG again and am awaiting a response. In the meantime, my really expensive chicken door is being held up with a metal clip to keep it from slamming down and I have to manually raise and lower it to be sure it is closed properly to protect my ladies.

Does anyone have a recommendation on another device?

Thanks

View attachment 3048268View attachment 3048293View attachment 3048294
Hi all and hoping to get some feedback from anyone using the ChickenGuard Extreme door. I have been using mine since December of 2020 and have had a number of issues. My run is covered so it doesn’t get pounded by the elements other than temperature and I am the only person to handle the device and have done so with extreme care.

1- the batteries die in 60-90 days. I don’t mind that too much since I elected to have a non electric device. That said I would have thought the batteries might have lasted a bit longer. Leads me to the bigger issues…

2- the wiring is terribly fragile and breaks. Has anyone else had this problem. I do not handle the unit aggressively and the wires have either cracked on the casing or have completely severed. I understand that the wires are smaller and a bit more delicate, but for a farm type of application and the fact that the unit is being jostled regularly to change batteries, the unit needs to be handled more than I would like. I am on the second unit where the battery wires have broken.

3- wires cracked on the motor too. I brought this up to the CG service person who was friendly, but said that the wires were cracked because i handled the unit and it was my issue. They offered to price a new motor. I just need the wires. The mechanics of the hardware are fine.

4- string slips the spool and messes with he door. I had to disassemble the unit to rewind the string around the spool. Again, the wires are being handled more than they should but for the unit to work properly, it needs to be taken apart which causes the wires to weaken. Also…the string should not slip….

When the issues started they were helpful after sending proof pictures that I didn’t manhandle the device and break it. They sent a replacement unit at no cost. I was very appreciative. 6 weeks later, one of the leads to the battery plug broke again!

I found replacement battery wires and 2 pin wires on Amazon and am happy to attempt to re soder the new leads but not sure if they are the right leads.

I guess I’m sending this out to vent a little frustration, see if anything has an idea on how to fix it or have had similar problems.

I have emailed CG again and am awaiting a response. In the meantime, my really expensive chicken door is being held up with a metal clip to keep it from slamming down and I have to manually raise and lower it to be sure it is closed properly to protect my ladies.

Does anyone have a recommendation on another device?

Thanks
I would go up one gauge size on the wires and buy some heat shrink tubing that you can shrink down right over those contacts when you're finished soldering. That should offer a little bit extra protection and a beefier wire to carry the current so hopefully it would be a little bit stronger than what they're supplying the product with.

I would go up one gauge size on the wires and buy some heat shrink tubing that you can shrink down right over those contacts when you're finished soldering. That should offer a little bit extra protection and a beefier wire to carry the current so hopefully it would be a little bit stronger than what they're supplying the product with.
Trust
the heat shrink tubing is a great idea.

I love the concept of the door and it seems pretty simple device in terms of its operation. It’s a devil trying to find the right size wire to replace and the proper 2 pin plugs to replace.

I hate to be negative on a product, but it just seems like a lot of hassle to deal with for having the device for about a year.

Perhaps I have unrealistic expectations.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Hi there, those issues sound very frustrating! I have been very happy with my Omlet automatic chicken coop door, review here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/omlet-automatic-coop-door.12009/. I haven't had to do any fiddling and only have to change the batteries every 4-6 months. I also have their coop light so the battery might last slightly less time because of it.

If you have a few minutes, consider leaving a review on your item here, others may find it helpful! https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/chickenguard-automatic-door-opener.11620/. You can also see all of the reviews for various chicken coop doors here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/categories/automatic-coop-doors.16/

I have two of these Chicken Guard doors and very happy with them, also had no problems with the wiring yet and I've had them 5 years, also my batteries last longer than 5-6 months, nearer a year before needing replacing.
Wow good for you. They have shipped a theirs unit. I suggested I could solder new wires on as they are what the problem is.

I could see if I was mishandling the unit, but I can assure I am not. I even bought the extreme unit as it is outdoors in the covered run. The wires are simply very poorly connected.

I still may try my hand at rewiring the unit with a larger gauge wire.

I just want me girls to be safe and have the door work properly so inam not worried when I don’t get home on time or have to travel overnight for work which is quite often.

Thanks for your feedback

Wow good for you. They have shipped a theirs unit. I suggested I could solder new wires on as they are what the problem is.

I could see if I was mishandling the unit, but I can assure I am not. I even bought the extreme unit as it is outdoors in the covered run. The wires are simply very poorly connected.

I still may try my hand at rewiring the unit with a larger gauge wire.

I just want me girls to be safe and have the door work properly so inam not worried when I don’t get home on time or have to travel overnight for work which is quite often.

Thanks for your feedback
I must say mine are not the Extreme version which you are using but the Premium and they are both outdoors without a covered run. I also bought the self locking door which means no fox can get it's snout under it and lift it. It is very unlucky that you are having this problem. Do you have to send the old one back when you get a replacement? If not then it is well worth having a go at soldering the wires.

Back
Top Bottom