chicken guardian

Chasec5308

Chirping
Feb 26, 2020
waynesboro, ms
I know this is a chicken forum but im needing some help locating a good guardian breed pup for my little flock. i have been reading alot on english shepherds and that breed seems ideal. My only issue is finding one..i havent been able to find one anywhere. i am located in south mississippi. i have also read collies are good too. No matter the breed it needs to be good with small children as well. i have a 3 year old daughter and a baby on the way so preferably a breed that loves alot of attention from kids :). if anyone could point me in the right direction for a pup that would be greatly appreciated :)

Border collies are not always great with children but it depends a lot on the individual psychology of the animal. They need a lot of exercise both, physical and mental. If they do not receive it, can turn bored and start to treat the children as their personal flock, and flock for a shepherd means prey to chase for fun.

If you want shepherds, australian shepherd is another option. They appear consistently among the more intelligent dog races in the plane. I don't know how they behave with children.

You can also take a look to a water spanish dog, they are intelligent, with continuous hair grow so they will need regular hairdressing but will not moult all over your furniture like other shepherds breeds do (halleluhah!). They love to swim and recover things, are highly trainable (used to find people in distress trapped after natural disasters) and can be available in small or medium sizes, children love its curly look and they have a natural affinity with them.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/seven-things-spanish-water-dog/

In general terms, dog females are much better with children but any normal dogs of any breed will pick up the idea really fast. Wolves love puppies and have developped a innate sense of protection and respect for them, and dogs are wolves after all.

Last edited:
Most shepherd breeds have the same problem with children in any case. They behave better with supervision. Fortunately both children and this dogs share a endless energy and love for mischievings, so after some surveilled contact they infatuate with the other really fast (and then you have a double trouble team).

Last edited:
I appreciate yalls replies! My parents have a german shepherd that is around 10 years old ( they have no chickens or livestock though) and she is fantastic with my daughter. she is very protective of her and lets her love all over her. Does any one have any experience with german shepherds and chickens and how they go together? Im assuming pretty much any dog can be taught not to mess with a chicken. German shepherds are more easily found around these parts.

The right dog, properly trained, will be wonderful. Without training, most/ all dogs love chicken! Be prepared to spend a lot of time (years?!) making a new dog safe with your chickens. English Shephards and Aussies usually have a lot of coat too, possibly a disadvantage where you live. Most of the LGDs are large and furry, and not necessarily good with toddlers.
Shop around, talk to people, and select carefully, and have the time and energy to train!
Mary

If I had a small flock and wanted a dog around house, then German Pointer is what I would revert to in a heartbeat. They handle heat very well, are very smart, mine have been good with kids and they prey drive can be channeled. They keep your feet warm during winter and can help with research projects.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/planned-poultry-guarding-dog.426408/

I know this is a chicken forum but im needing some help locating a good guardian breed pup for my little flock. i have been reading alot on english shepherds and that breed seems ideal. My only issue is finding one..i havent been able to find one anywhere. i am located in south mississippi. i have also read collies are good too. No matter the breed it needs to be good with small children as well. i have a 3 year old daughter and a baby on the way so preferably a breed that loves alot of attention from kids :). if anyone could point me in the right direction for a pup that would be greatly appreciated :)
I met a Pyrenees/Anatolian that does fabulous with chickens. Very serious about protecting her charges. Not much interest in humans. I was surprised that in an urban area with small yard, she didn't ever jump out. I really liked her for guarding, but wanted one that was more personable. There are dog transport companies you could check into. Here's the link about her: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=h2hdogs&set=a.3168039069915312

I met a Pyrenees/Anatolian that does fabulous with chickens. Very serious about protecting her charges. Not much interest in humans. I was surprised that in an urban area with small yard, she didn't ever jump out. I really liked her for guarding, but wanted one that was more personable. There are dog transport companies you could check into. Here's the link about her: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=h2hdogs&set=a.3168039069915312
FYI - this thread is over 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom