Chicken has super swollen frozen feet

I’m sure that she is stressed from losing the two feet and the isolation. The bleeding stump may hurt a bit. Hopefully, having her in a dog crate with food and water, but safely protected, will help her perk up. Try bribing her with water and some egg and tuna, but get back to her usual feed soon. Hopefully, she will eventually develop toughened stumps where she can get used to walking again. Hopefully, they will eventually accept her back with her disability.

I wouldn't put her directly with them. What is she in, now? A dog crate? Can you put her, crate and all, out with them, during the day? Until her stumps heal, I mean.
She's in a big dog carrier. I could probably move the crate outside. I was going to cover her stumps with rubber finger covers so they wouldn't get wet or dirty. It would be safer to move the crate outside.
I’m sure that she is stressed from losing the two feet and the isolation. The bleeding stump may hurt a bit. Hopefully, having her in a dog crate with food and water, but safely protected, will help her perk up. Try bribing her with water and some egg and tuna, but get back to her usual feed soon. Hopefully, she will eventually develop toughened stumps where she can get used to walking again. Hopefully, they will eventually accept her back with her disability.
She won't drink either. I'll try tuna tomorrow and give her more pain meds. I have electrolytes too that I can give her. I hope they accept her. :fl

She's in a big dog carrier. I could probably move the crate outside. I was going to cover her stumps with rubber finger covers so they wouldn't get wet or dirty. It would be safer to move the crate outside.
@Wyorp Rock

Are her stumps healed? The rubber finger cots will keep the debris out. But, they will also keep the air out. I'm as new to chickens as you are. I've tagged a knowledgeable chicken keeper for her opinion

Edit: @Eggcessive - I'm sorry, I didn't notice your name above. What do you think about finger cots?

Last edited:
I moved the carrier out to the run. She perked up a little, but is still laying in the corner. I gave her more pain meds and changed the bandage. Her stumps look really good. The first one is already getting skin on the bottom. The second is a little bruised, but it stopped bleeding and looks good. Neither of them stuck to the gauze. When I put her back she pecked at her food a little, which is more than yesterday. The flock is very jealous that she has her own food and water. 😄

Attachments

• 20230212_080024.jpg
    20230212_080024.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230212_080514.jpg
    20230212_080514.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1
I think the finger cots would be good once the stumps are covered with skin. I would remove them during the night so that skin could dry out. There are some new breathable bandages in drugs stores. Hydrocolloid gel bandages are found in multiple sizes, and remain on for 3 days. Drug stores sell them and here are some in small sizes:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCRX2M7/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_plhdr=t
Those are cool. I could put the finger cots over the wrap. They're the large size, so they would fit. I wouldn't leave them on at night. Should I keep the stumps wrapped all the times though, just with vet wrap and gauze? I plan on changing the wrap everyday until the bottom has scabbed over. Then, I'll change it every 2-3 days until it's completely healed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom