Chicken hatched Guinea Eggs (ANOTHER UPDATE & PICS-POST #36)

Oh how sad, and they were all doing so well too. I'm so sorry!
sad.png
Hope they adjust, but man what a bummer!
hit.gif

I am pretty sure it was sky danger. I dont know which kind. It was late enough a whipporwill could have done it. Hawks of many kinds, and Vultures could have done it. I am missing a white preteen Americauna. It disapearred yesterday evening. All accounted for tonight. We are keeping a better watch but its hard to do with such thick bordering forestland.
They are going to bed alone now and have accepted the new chicks. The younger and smaller chick they grew up with (A Black Cochin Bantam) is one mean sucker. Its half the size of everything in there but learned from its adopted game mama to be a spitfire! It Rules All!!

The vultures have never bothered my chickens. Even when we process roos and put the carcasses out in traps the vultures never land near them. Now foxes, possums, raccoons and wild cats do go all around the traps in inside.
Vultures like dead stuff and really easy meals.

I believe it was a hawk that got your miss pretty. Those we have in abundance! And they have tried to get my grown ducks and chickens. Now the Guinea alerts the chickens and ducks and they listen.

I am sorry for the loss of that sweet little mama.
hit.gif

I moved all of the keets in their "Guin Pen" today. Tonight will be their first night NOT sleeping in their brooder. I put chicken wire on the dog kennel to make sure that they do not escape through the sections. It's amazing HOW HIGH these babies can fly. As you can see in the pics, they found their spot on the top roost.

6612_g1.jpg

6612_g2.jpg

6612_g3.jpg

6612_g4.jpg

6612_g5.jpg

6612_g6.jpg

WOW you have soooo many! Mine still want to sleep in the dog crate and they are around a week older than yours.
I even tried putting them on a branch up higher in the pen. They prefer the ground. Hope they get over this.
They have adopted a new mommy. I put the lone White EE chick in with them since her buddy was taken and She loves them. Which is strange since older chicks are usually aggressive...Guess they needed each other...

SANY0642-1.jpg

Quote:
Yours are so cute!!!

It was like pulling teeth trying to KEEP them in their brooder. They wanted OUT OUT OUT!!!! So, as soon as they were ready, I KICKED them out of the brooder. While they were waiting to graduate from CLASS B (brooder) to CLASS GP (Guin Pen), I had this pen built from them. The pics that I posted a few posts earlier is the inside but here is the outside. It is made from pallets and an old dog kennel that someone gave to me. I had the kennel covered with chicken wire today, so that they don't squeeze through the dog kennel links and escape. They will stay in this for a few weeks so that they will know where "home" is so that when I finally release them to let them free range with the otehr animals, they won't run away.

The turkeys were the first ones to try it out.
6612_guinea_pen.jpg

6612_guinea_pen1.jpg

6612_guinea_pen6.jpg

6612_guinea_pen7.jpg

6612_guinea_pen2.jpg

Inside of Pen
6612_guinea_pen3.jpg

6612_guinea_pen5.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom