Chicken injured by dog. Please help with treatment.

twinklemama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 21, 2011
I have a 2 year old red star hen that was attacked by a dog yesterday (a dachshund). On first glace she seemed relatively ok though she wouldn't put any weight on 1 of her legs. Today when I checked on her I found a large patch of feathers missing on her back close to the tail. On further inspection the skin underneath was really badly torn up, no blood but definitely sticky like it is oozing (discovered the oozing at 11:00pm). She is currently still eating and drinking but hides in the coop most of the time right now. I'm worried about her what kind of treatment can I give her to help prevent infection?

When one of my hens gets attacked by foxes, I do the following:

1. Isolate her in the house. She could get picked on by the others if she's outside, and she'd be slower and more vulnerable to predators

2. Irrigate the wound with a saline wash

3. Disinfect with an iodine-based solution (Xenodine is great)

4. Put a non-stick bandage pad on the wound, then wrap the hen with a non-stick bandage wrap. Change the dressing regularly.

Keep her warm and give her food, water, and grit, and if there are no internal injuries she should be fine in a few days. Good luck!

-Les

Would provodine work? I have a large bottle in my pantry. She is currently isolating herself which is concerning but we have a hospital coop for isolating I will put her in there. Is there anything I should put on the wound under the bandage?

When one of my hens gets attacked by foxes, I do the following:

1. Isolate her in the house. She could get picked on by the others if she's outside, and she'd be slower and more vulnerable to predators

2. Irrigate the wound with a saline wash

3. Disinfect with an iodine-based solution (Xenodine is great)

4. Put a non-stick bandage pad on the wound, then wrap the hen with a non-stick bandage wrap. Change the dressing regularly.

Keep her warm and give her food, water, and grit, and if there are no internal injuries she should be fine in a few days. Good luck!

-Les

I know there is certain antibiotic paste u can get, I'm just not sure of the name. But it looks just like neosporaim except for farm animals. I'm not sure if you could use neosporaim for chickens as an alternative.

You can use neosporin with out pain relief if you think she needs it. I have had two chickens with serious wounds this summer. I left both of the wounds uncovered after cleaning them. One was a big tear under a wing (fox attack) and the other was a large patch just above the tail (my other hens picked on her). I also separated them from the rest of the flock.

Unfortunately, she didn't make it. Even after cleaning it I didn't see the full extent of the damage. Around 80% of her back was heavily damaged and I think he leg might have been broken. She was still alive this morning bt I knew she was going down hill. Had I realized how badly she was injured I would have humanely put her down.

You can use neosporin with out pain relief if you think she needs it. I have had two chickens with serious wounds this summer. I left both of the wounds uncovered after cleaning them. One was a big tear under a wing (fox attack) and the other was a large patch just above the tail (my other hens picked on her). I also separated them from the rest of the flock.

Unfortunately, she didn't make it. Even after cleaning it I didn't see the full extent of the damage. Around 80% of her back was heavily damaged and I think he leg might have been broken. She was still alive this morning bt I knew she was going down hill. Had I realized how badly she was injured I would have humanely put her down.
So very sad, sorry for the lost.

Back
Top Bottom