Chicken injured by dog

Awesomewolfffff

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 6, 2016
One of our chickens was hurt badly by our dogs. There is a large gash underneath her thigh, and it's not bleeding badly. However, you can see her muscles. We gave her water and a piece of cheese. If you have any ideas on how to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

One of our chickens was hurt badly by our dogs. There is a large gash underneath her thigh, and it's not bleeding badly. However, you can see her muscles. We gave her water and a piece of cheese. If you have any ideas on how to help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Spray blue kote, saline wound wash. I’m going through a rough time right now too cause a coon(we think) tried killing one of my ducks. I sprayed saline wound wash and blue kote

Trim any feathers around the wound

Saline rinse well to get rid of dirt. (1 tsp salt to 1 qt water.)

Apply vaseline or triple-antibiotic ointment to keep the wound clean and moist. You can smash an aspirin (reg. strength) into a quart of water for pain relief.

Is she in shock? (half-closed eyes, seems sleepy?) Get her warm and keep her isolated.

Have an antibiotic on hand in case it takes a turn for the worse.

And stick with regular food. Chickens are borderline lactose intolerant (they can tolerate small amounts) and upsetting her digestion probably won't do any good at this juncture. Try a scrambled egg if she wants a treat.

Good luck.

I nursed a hen who had the back of her neck torn off. Aspirin in water. Nutrient drops in water (I don’t remember the brand). Clean the wound. Neosporin. Water. Raw egg. Warmth (brooder lamp or small space heater) I kept her in my bathtub. It was a very bad injury. After a week, we started giving her pellets again. We also used a spray (TSC has it, white bottle). Took 3 weeks of her in our tub. She is back out with the flock, with weird feather growth on her neck but otherwise fat and happy.

I nursed a hen who had the back of her neck torn off. Aspirin in water. Nutrient drops in water (I don’t remember the brand). Clean the wound. Neosporin. Water. Raw egg. Warmth (brooder lamp or small space heater) I kept her in my bathtub. It was a very bad injury. After a week, we started giving her pellets again. We also used a spray (TSC has it, white bottle). Took 3 weeks of her in our tub. She is back out with the flock, with weird feather growth on her neck but otherwise fat and happy.
Great that your chicken got better! Thanks!

Trim any feathers around the wound

Saline rinse well to get rid of dirt. (1 tsp salt to 1 qt water.)

Apply vaseline or triple-antibiotic ointment to keep the wound clean and moist. You can smash an aspirin (reg. strength) into a quart of water for pain relief.

Is she in shock? (half-closed eyes, seems sleepy?) Get her warm and keep her isolated.

Have an antibiotic on hand in case it takes a turn for the worse.

And stick with regular food. Chickens are borderline lactose intolerant (they can tolerate small amounts) and upsetting her digestion probably won't do any good at this juncture. Try a scrambled egg if she wants a treat.

Good luck.
Thank you so much! Had no idea that chickens were borderline lactose intolerant!

Back
Top Bottom