Red Chooky is still going along ok. She's not great but has improved slightly. I leave it up to her if she wants to spend her days with the other chickens. If she doesn't, I put her in her large coop to protect her. She's nearly finished her course of antibiotics. I'm looking at giving her the Suprelorin injection to give her a break from ovulating. I've managed to speak with a vet that does a lot with birds (mostly parrots). I used to work with him years ago and I didn't think he was practicing anymore. Anyway, he confirmed that the air sacculitis is usually secondary to another issue, which he feels is likely to be peritonitis also. He thinks that the Suprelorin implant was good a good idea and definitely worth a try. I'm waiting to find out how much I can get it for. I sell the eggs from the chickens and geese and I use the money on them, so I can put their egg money towards it. I got the impression that the owner thinks that if the antibiotics don't get her well then that's the end of the line for treatment as I did mention the ovariohysterectomy and the suprelorin but I don't think the owner want's to go to that expense. I'm having trouble getting her to eat and put on weight. She eats a bit, but not much. I've added tuna in oil and fresh egg as well as the starter crumble (she's been on that for a couple of weeks). I tried her on some kangaroo mince that I feed my cat (human grade and high in protein) but she only had a taste of it. It might be too strong tasting so will get some beef or lamb mince. I should hopefully be able to get some vitamins tomorrow. She certainly finds her strength when it comes to resisting getting her tablet.

Red Chooky is still travelling along. She finished her antibiotics 4 days ago. 3 days ago she seemed a bit better then yesterday seems to improve even more, but today she seems to have gone backwards a bit. I got the superlorin injection so will be able to give it to her tomorrow, but I'm starting to question if it is related to her reproductive organs. She's still not eating that well. She did a poo that was very watery and had a greeny yellowy colour to it, but was very watery.

Back
Top Bottom