Chicken LORE Project - Find & Submit Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances

I resubmitted info for Beaverton, OR but now when I go back there are two entries identical to the old incorrect entry. I don't know where the info I submitted went to.

Quote:
Quote:
I saw the advice for another question on outdated ordinances, so I went ahead and submitted again for Austin. I just had a City of Austin Senior Planner speak at a meeting this past weekend on the Austin Ordinances for raising backyard poultry, and he confirmed what I noted in the forum is still in effect.

Last edited:
OMG!!!!! I am so excited I can hardly stand it! My city of Cape Girardeau, Missouri (about 90 miles south of St. Louis) is considering an ordinance that would allow residents to keep chickens! I am currently an outlaw chicken owner (I have 7 hens) and I can't wait to be legal and not scared of showing off or talking about my girls! Here's the link to the article in our local paper, the Southeast Missourian--

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1669889.html

I live in the urban growth area outside of Olympia, WA they do not allow any chickens in this area I'm looking for help in getting the ordinance change any help out there?

This was the city ordinace of Rushville IN until june of 2008.

§ 91.21 HOUSEHOLD LIMITATIONS.
No household shall keep or harbor more than three animals, anywhere on the premises, The only exception is a ten-week period, allowed for the placement of puppies or kittens born of an of the three animals on this premises, Owners having more than three animals prior to the time this subchapter becomes effective are exempted from this provision as long as they retain ownership of those same animals. (Ord. 1997-5, passed - -)

§ 91.35 OTHER ANIMALS PROHIBITED FROM RUNNING AT LARGE.
It shall be unlawful for any person being the owner of or having the care, custody, control of: any horse, mare, bull, steer, cow, calf, hog, pig, sheep, chickens, turkey, geese or ducks, or any other domestic animals to allow the same to run at large, unattended within the corporate limits of the city, (Ord. 1997-5, passed --)

They had changed the law after someone complanied about my chickens. The new law was printed in the news paper but I am still trying to find it on a public data base. In the mean time I have gone "undergroud" with my chikens.
Currently have only two Black Sex Linked hens. They are laying about ten - twelve eggs a week. I'm sure that will change as the weather gets colder. Here is a pic of my first flock had ten Buff Orpington birds in a straight run.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r67/busy_i_am2001/Seans1008chickens.jpg

Ended up with 4 roosters and 6 hens. Had to get rid of them all before the hens started laying.

Hey - Awesome map ... I may use it for a story I'm working on ... do you know of a place I can find the overlap of chicken and bee laws? I need a bee map too ...

Thanks,

Nate
paleomedia.org

Chickens are allowed is Massillon, Ohio as long as they don't disturb the neighbors such as keep getting loose or the crowing becomes
a nuisance to the neighbors. Basically as long as your neighbors don't complain about stench, noise or chickens running loose you can
keep your chickens as long as you wish!
big_smile.png

Dothan, AL needs to be updated with new information:

Are Chickens Allowed in Dothan - Yes

Max Chickens Allowed - Not Stated

Roosters Allowed - Yes

Permit Required - No

Coop Restrictions: "It shall be unlawful and shall constitute a public nuisance for any person to keep within the city any animal or fowl, unless such animal or fowl is kept at all times at a distance of not less than 35 feet from the residence of any other person or any church, school, public building, park or public playground." and "It shall be unlawful and shall constitute a public nuisance for any person having charge, custody or control of any animal or fowl to keep or maintain such animal or fowl in any enclosure in the city or its police jurisdiction, unless such enclosure is so constructed and maintained that any such animal or fowl kept therein is securely confined and prevented from escaping therefrom.
"

City/Organization Contact name: Dothan, Alabama City Clerk (334) 615-3161 or (334) 615-3162

Additional Information: Chapter 10, Sections 10-112 through 10-115.

Link for more Information: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10658&stateId=1&stateName=Alabama

Back
Top Bottom