Chicken LORE Project - Find & Submit Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances

Quote:
I have applied 15 Scratch (nine months) to your account. I am pretty sure you have 3 more outstanding. I will do another GFM award list later this week.

Is there a legal definition for poultry, livestock, or backyard chickens as pets? I could use a legal definition of the difference. Our fancy, funny little birds were definitely not bred for production of anything more than laughs and oggles.

These definitions are outlined in each city's code. They vary from city to city, so I suggest you take advantage of the search function. Control F works well too
wink.png
Look for poultry, fowl, livestock, domestic animals, agriculture. I would guess your understanding is correct.

The code enforcement officer allowed our chickens 2 years ago, based on the wording in the city code which never states chickens are not allowed, but it doesn't have any details about keeping chickens either. We have had his approval for that long, and he helped us get the right permits to build the shed we keep the chickens in. He did say, he was aware St. Charles has had a long history of backyard chickens, hence the wording "...unlawful to sell barter or give away any chick or fowl that has been dyed an unnatural color...", and many old coops can be seen in many old yards.

99.9% of the time, if the code does not specifically prohibit it, then chickens are allowed. There may be other item listed later in the code which regulate zoning, proximity, sanitation, and noise restrictions. ie- permits for your shed.​

I did not get my golden feather yet.

I filled in all the boxes but when I looked some information was not recorded.

The information was from the city offices but seemed contradictory
Stating first that no poultry including chickens are allowed in the city limits but in those places were poultry is allowed it lists the restrictions
Is there more information needed I would really like to earn my Golden Feather.

Quote:
Pam, I did a (very quick) check, and only see the one submission for Pittsburg, CA, which was previously validated on 3/30. Have you submitted other cities that I might possibly have overlooked?
To receive a 3-month GFM, you have to have 5 validated cities; for a 6-month GFM, 10 cities; and for a 1-year GFM, 18 cities need to be submitted and validated.

No, I have posted only one city yet but I wanted to make sure I did it right. There still seems to be information missing.

Thanks for informing me about the need to do more cities. I did think I only had to do one. Silly me!!

Could you see if all the information I submitted was validated or should I re post the information as an edit.
Thanks,
Pamela

Quote:
The original submission you did back on 3/26 was validated on 3/30, so you have earned one scratch point. You don't need to do anything further with Pittsburg, CA. Hope that helps!

THe interpretation of the law ordinance concerning the legality of chickens in amarillo has changed many times over the last year... although it is said to never have changed.

in a city commissioners meeting and all over the news, both TV and our local paper, it was broadcast that four laying hens may be kept in town on at least 1/4 acre of land. the reasoning is all misinformation. our health dept told the city commissioners, and the entire city saw it, that chickens carry disease and can pass them onto wild bird populations. and that bird flu was a concern.

the animal control told a friend that since these stories have aired many people are calling in chickens that live on less than 1/4 acre land.

Animal Control, Mike McGee, has stated that his intent is to keep people from keeping chcickens in their backyard. and has said he intends to run them all out of town.

so, the interpretation that they must be a nuisance animal to be considered illegal was or is now no longer correct.

sorry about this. initially, you or someone else had to change my first submission.

the other submissions i made should be correct. i lived in Peabody, MA, a suburb of Boston, and there was a large family farm just down the street (crazy isn't it).

i saw that someone else submitted the ordinance for lubbock's ordinance and interpreted it as it being legal or confounding enough to get away with it until told different. their animal control also says it is illegal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom