Chicken LORE Project - Find & Submit Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances

I can't figure out if I can have chickens in my county (I live in a small town). I checked the LORE project and no cities from my county are listed. I live in El Dorado County, California. Here's the like to the county website:
http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/index.html
Can anyone help me figure this out? I think I've checked all over the site and everywhere, but can't find anything about chickens!

I went to go post for Shreveport but there is already something up and it's mistaken. There is a pretty clear ordinance that says you need to seek a zoning exception before you can legally have chickens (and it has been tested and if your neighbors complain you still have to get rid of the hens). May be a good idea to let people flag or fact check responses or to change them as the regulations change from illegal to legal.

Anyway, this is a great idea, but the Shreveport Louisiana regulation is posted incorrectly. I will be happy to get the correct one for you.

Thanks for your input, but according to your post, the submittal is correct. Yes you can have chickens, Zoning ordinances apply.

I submitted some of the other cities around me, not on the L.O.R.E. pull down list of California cities, Bell Gardens, Bellflower, Buena Park, Cerritos, Fullerton, and Garden Grove. Here are more Socal cities that I haven't gotten around to looking up yet, but other folks might want to.

Carson
Compton
Costa Mesa
Cypress
Los Alamitos
Fountain Valley
Gardena
Hawaiian Gardens
Huntington Beach
Lynnwood
Norwalk
Orange
Palos Verdes
Palos Verdes Estates
Placentia
Rancho Palos Verdes
Rolling Hills
Seal Beach
Signal Hill
Southgate
Torrance
Westminster
Villa Park
Yorba Linda

Last edited:
GardNerd-Thank you for your submittals! I will try & verify them sometime this week--lots to do!

Hey guys!

Great resource, wish it had been around when I started looking into the laws for St. Paul! As a Saint Paul resident, and somebody who's going through the process right now, you may want to amend the entry for Saint Paul MN, because of two things:

1) Roosters are not allowed, quote: "Sec. 198.03. Keeping of certain animals absolutely prohibited; exceptions.
(a) Prohibited animals. No person shall keep, maintain, sell or harbor within the City of Saint Paul any of the following animals:
(10) Any Male Chicken (rooster). Any person keeping any prohibited animal identified above may have it seized immediately by animal control."

And you may want to let people know that though it's not codified in the law, Saint Paul Animal Control is imposing a 10-day time period to get your permission signatures AND that your 10 days starts when you go to the office to pick up your permit application (which they want you to do first). We found this out the hard way, I would love it if other St. Paulites didn't also get a nasty surprise.

Otherwise, great job
smile.png

Whitewater

Hello everyone! I have one roaming, laying hen, that just showed up about 3 weeks ago. She is now my pet. She does not want any other chickens around, ran the ones I bought to keep her company off. She sleeps high up in a tree at night, and roams my wooded lot during the days, laying one egg a day. The question is should I build her a shelter or coupe of some kind? She is mostly. Rhode lsland red, some white. Thanks

welcome-byc.gif

you may get a better response if you post your question in the appropriate forum. Maybe "chicken behaviors and egg laying"?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom