Chicken LORE Project - Find & Submit Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances

We are moving back to my husband's home town of Anacortes WA and of course I wanted to know if I could have chickens so this is what I found out. The new ordinance goes into effect June 7th, hopefully, and so talk about good timing.
smile.png

Here is an article that outlines the new ordinance:
http://www.goskagit.com/home/article/city_council_will_hear_new_chicken_ordinance_monday/

Here is the letter I got after inquiring into the chicken laws in Anacortes, Yes Anacortes is joining the ranks of cities that allow backyard chickens.

Hi Faith-

The address you provided (13323 Thomas Lane) is not within Anacortes city limits (even though it has an Anacortes mailing address); therefore, you would want to check with Skagit County regarding any chicken regulations there may be in that area. The Skagit County Planning Department phone number is 360-336-9410 and email address is [email protected].

By the way, since you may ultimately find a place within Anacortes City limits, you may be interested to know that at their 6/7/10 meeting, the Anacortes City Council will be considering an ordinance that would allow for hens in residential zones (with a prohibition on roosters; restrictions on the number allowed based on lot size; coop and fenced yard area requirements; and setbacks from adjacent residences). Let me know if you would like to see the draft regulations. The city's current code does not specifically address the keeping of chickens.

For your reference, here is a link to a map that shows where the City of Anacortes City limits are:

http://www.cityofanacortes.org/PublicWorks/GIS/Maps/Address_Map_2009.pdf

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Libby Grage

City of Anacortes

Senior Planner

Department of Planning, Community & Economic Development

P.O. Box 547

Anacortes, WA 98221

ph. 360.299.1986

fax. 360.293.1938

[email protected]

Quote:
This is the information listed in the Amarillo listing---which part is incorrect?

Oh drat! I just entered the town by-laws for my home town and noticed that I made a typo on the town name! It should be WINTHROP Massachusetts, not WINTRHOP. Is there a place to edit mistakes???!!!

Hello I am getting ready to buy a house in Schoolcraft MI. I have searched and searched for the laws and can't seem to find them anywhere. Could someone who knows what to look for please help me. In the country I know you can because that is where my center is. My house will be just on the outskirts of town so I am hoping I can move some there also. Anyones help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!

Last edited:
Quote:
Here is a link to the ordinaces that govern your village: http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=14258&doc_action=whatsnew

Unfortunately
, this appears to answer your question: "Code of Ordinances, Village of Schoolcraft, Michigan
ARTICLE I. IN GENERAL
Sec. 14-1. Keeping of certain animals on residential property prohibited.
No person shall keep on property zoned for or being used as a residence any horse, cow, calf, swine, sheep, goat, chickens, geese, ducks, donkeys, pigeons, pigs (including Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs), reptiles, wild, or hybrid (part domesticated and part wild) exotic animal, except domesticated dogs and cats, caged reptiles or insects commonly kept as pets, fish, caged rodents normally kept as pets, caged rabbits normally kept as pets, and caged birds normally kept as pets.
(Ord. No. 214, art. I, 10-6-08)" (emphasis added)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
sad.png

Last edited:
This part, I think, should be removed, since it is opinion. Sure don't want anyone to be unsure, since City Hall isn't flexible, it seems.
"However, it seems to be common knowledge that up to 13 may be kept. IF, they are not considered to be "nuisance." The explanation i get around town is, "Domestic Animal: Those Animals which are naturally tame and gentle or which, by long association with man, have become thoroughly domesticated and are now reduced to such a state of subjection to his will that they no longer possess the disposition or inclination to escape. This definition specifically includes household pets, such as dogs and cats and pigeon, rabbit, other bird or fowl not regulated or defined elsewhere, and miniature animals."

Quote:
This is the information listed in the Amarillo listing---which part is incorrect?

I looked up the laws/ordinances for poulty in San Luis Obispo, CA - found 1 listing for San Louis Obispo & 1 for San Luis Obispo - the correct Spelling for the City/County is San Luis Obispo, CA. I also noted that each had a slightly different allowance one was 20 & the other was 25. Housing was restricted to 50 to 75 feet from residential buildings. Both allowed roosters. Before I got my chickens I checked the rural ordinances for San Luis Obispo county, I am allowed 20 hens but no roosters. with no housing restrictions.

I don't know where in the county the 2 listings are for but it does pay to check for your specific location. so besure to speak with a live person & don't rely on just a written copy.

See here's the thing..I won't live in the village I live in the outskirts...and have a farm now with over 400 chickens, quail, turkeys, pheasants... in schoolcraft....and am allowed...but the house I am getting is just a block or two from the village. But not in the village. So I wonder how that works..I hope you understand..maybe I should contact the village concil and see what I can do. I am scared to contact them for they might come up with so lame quickie law and say no.

Quote:
You must look at the Zoning Map and find out which zone you are in, but if it's a residential zone, the law seems pretty clear to me. Not that I abide by the laws in MY town on less than 5 acres of land (no chickens allowed where I live), but that's just me!

Last edited:
One of the easiest ways to know for sure exactly what governing body's jurisdiction you fall under is to check your property tax bill. You need to know that first, then the particular zoning (residential/business/agricultural). If you are not within the city/town/municipality boundaries and jurisdiction, or where you live is unincorporated, then most probably the next governing body you need to consult with is the County. As always, you also need to know if you have any local Homeowner's association by-laws that could trump the city regs. And always check the lot size requirements, as well as any setback requirements to your neighbors, etc. As most all of us have discovered, it is best to check and then double-check. Just because your next door neighbor can legally have chickens does not necessarily mean that you can legally have chickens.

Back
Top Bottom