Chicken massacre...we are very sad

Your story gave me chills as it sounds so much like our own! We too lost our entire flock of 5 on Saturday. My husband heard some noise about 3am but it didn't last long. In the morning we awoke to a yard full of feathers. We found 3 bodies without their heads, scattered around. We searched the yard for the other two, not wanting our kids to discover them before us, but didn't find them. However, that night I came home around 10pm and heard something rattle the fence on the opposite side of the house. When I went to see what it was, at the base of the gate was one the 2 missing hens, again without her head. We could only guess that the predator had buried it somewhere in our yard and returned to retrieve it, dropping it when I scared him off. Does this sound like a fox or raccoon? After several years without incident we had become careless about locking the door on the coop at night - very hard lesson learned.

Sorry for your loss. Our girls were also 3 years old and very much pets so we understand how you feel. My 8 year old is especially upset.

RIP Sammy. And Henny, Maxine, Fribble, and Flounder

it's so heartbreaking to lose these chickens. i lost 10 of my 14. the remaining 4 are so skittish now & spend more time in the coop than they should because they're afraid of the big bad world.
everyday when i go out there, i'm wondering what i will find. it's just awful.

Wow, this is horrible.
I found this to be a lesson learned story I will be very careful to lock up our girls every night no exceptions.
We have worked so hard on making such a beautiful Hen house for them.
I plan on using a real lock on the doors.
Here is the coop halfway completed.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I have heard and read that many preditors dont take the bird but just the head. Its such a shame. We are still not sure what got our girls. We had a trapper over and decided against trapping because of our dog. We have since seen a fox twice in the field in the early morning. We keep the chickens inside the run if we are not outside. I had so many egg request this week and because of our loss I could not deliver the eggs we normally do. It just reminded me how much we valu our girls and how much we miss them. Again Im so sorry this happened to you and hope you catch your predator.

Back
Top Bottom