Chicken math and keeping a happy flock

Quote: So....grow op it is!
yesss.gif

Ya when I got 6 I thought that is alot of chickens..then I started looking at breeds, colors and what people had local and of course I have to get at least 3 of each breed because what if I get just roosters? But my area is 14 x14 with a 6 by 4 coop on top and added another coop to the area. Then the chicken tunnels will be going around the fence line say 40 ft on one side and about 30 ft on the other side. Not cold in central Califoria so I just need cover for the rain and especially hot weather.

Seems your chicken math has hit me a few times I started with 4 I currently have 29 chickens and 5 ducks which all will end up living together I have 15 layers right now and them and the 5 ducks all stay together getting ready to move 6 3 month olds in been slowly getting them acclimated to each other and have 8 3 week olds who are still inside.I had my husband expand our pen today it's a 29 x 20 split in 2 but there's like a doggy door that they can go from one to the other do you think my pen is big enough??

Last edited:
Seems your chicken math has hit me a few times I started with 4 I currently have 29 chickens and 5 ducks which all will end up living together I have 15 layers right now and them and the 5 ducks all stay together getting ready to move 6 3 month olds in been slowly getting them acclimated to each other and have 8 3 week olds who are still inside.I had my husband expand our pen today it's a 29 x 20 split in 2 but there's like a doggy door that they can go from one to the other do you think my pen is big enough??
Yeah I think you're good. Nothing scientific about my opinion but I'm just imagining that size and the number of birds you have. Of course if you keep growing you might need to add on but for the time being I'd be comfortable with that size.

My 6 silkies and it appears I have an accidental bantam silver laced wyandotte will stay together. Looks like in the large pen I will have around 10-14 chickens total. Depends on what roosters I have and a couple friends would like some..I will have to figure out who I will be willing to part with down the road...I am a bit partial to these guys!

Back
Top Bottom