Chicken math

One of the reasons I started with chickens was to provide good compost for my garden. And the hickeys can eat the less than desirable veggies from the garden. At least that is what I thought. But the chicken raising has developed a life of its own. I've been doing deep litter in a dirt floor coop and as soon as we get a couple of dry days the litter is coming out of the coop and going into the gardens and I will put new pine shavings in to be turned to compost for next spring or maybe fall is it accumulates fast enough now that I have all those chickens. Chickens AND gardening! A wonderful relationship.

Actually I moved here to start a CSA. I've been tracking the organic sales of produce from two of the larger grocery stores in the area just to get a feel for the market, the types of crops that sell best and the size and rotation of each planting. My wife grew up near here and her parents raised chickens so it was actually she that suggested I augment the veggies with eggs. I don’t have enough information regarding the regulations on selling the meat so at this point the plan is retired layers will be used for personal consumption. We are retired and have plenty of time and space to make this work. We are actually looking forward toward working on this venture. I’ve made a lot of interesting friends on this site that are helping me with much needed advice.

Well, my chicken raising is done, unfortunately. We just talked to a cop and he said it would be a $500 fine if we had chickens here. Oh well, I may be moving soon and I'll be able to raise them then. I appreciate all your help and knowledge. I will be back though!!
You had a great set of plans for the set up you were putting together. I actually planned on following your progress. I used to live on the 9th Hole of Myers Park in Charlotte, N.C. I remember the strict covenants dictating how our property had to be manicured. Never again. Now I live so far out in the country when I punch in a destination on my GPS the voice simply states: “I don’t have a **** clue!” Anyway, good luck with making the adjustments to get your plan back on track.

Actually I moved here to start a CSA.  I've been tracking the organic sales of produce from two of the larger grocery stores in the area just to get a feel for the market, the types of crops that sell best and the size and rotation of each planting. My wife grew up near here and her parents raised chickens so it was actually she that suggested I augment the veggies with eggs. I don’t have enough information regarding the regulations on selling the meat so at this point the plan is retired layers will be used for personal consumption. We are retired and have plenty of time and space to make this work. We are actually looking forward toward working on this venture. I’ve made a lot of interesting friends on this site that are helping me with much needed advice.

Several years ago when I was first wanting to get chickens, I saw a guy on Craig's list who advertised Cornish cross, fed organic and pastured, "will clean for free if desired". He did it that way to get around the regulations. Don't know how successful he was. I bought several in order to watch and help with the processing so I could learn how. It was a bit of a drive for me and he was very nice to give me a lesson.

You had a great set of plans for the set up you were putting together. I actually planned on following your progress. I used to live on the 9th Hole of Myers Park in Charlotte, N.C. I remember the strict covenants dictating how our property had to be manicured. Never again. Now I live so far out in the country when I punch in a destination on my GPS the voice simply states: “I don’t have a **** clue!” Anyway, good luck with making the adjustments to get your plan back on track.
yuckyuck.gif
Made me LOL and scared the heck out of the bitties in the brooder next to me lol.

Happy to know its not just me. We had 7 last year and now I have 32 in the brooder. 12 of them are my dad's but still.

I have 6 girls, I only was planning on going up to 12. So I bought 6 eggs of lemon cuckoo orpingtons and 6 lavender orpington eggs to hatch. The breeder sent me a few extra lemon cuckoo for good measure. I now have 12 still going strong at day 18 in the incubator..... BUT while I have been waiting for them to get shipped and incubate I couldn't resist.... I bought 2 buff orpingtons, 3 EE's, and 4 speckled sussex..... So if I have an amazing hatch I will have a grand total of 27 chickens lol.

Back
Top Bottom