Chicken math

I have 6 girls, I only was planning on going up to 12. So I bought 6 eggs of lemon cuckoo orpingtons and 6 lavender orpington eggs to hatch. The breeder sent me a few extra lemon cuckoo for good measure. I now have 12 still going strong at day 18 in the incubator..... BUT while I have been waiting for them to get shipped and incubate I couldn't resist.... I bought 2 buff orpingtons, 3 EE's, and 4 speckled sussex..... So if I have an amazing hatch I will have a grand total of 27 chickens lol.

At least that will be some very pretty chicken math. Love all those fluffy colors.

Lol I know. And I would like to note that my husband is just as bad haha, he was with me for each purchase and he couldn't say no either. He was supposed to be the strong one lol

I have 16 pullets, two cockerels, 9 in brooder, 15 in incubator. When I got home from work tonight my husband said that one of the pullets looks to be broody. I said great! He about had a heart attack until I told him I might let her hatch some of the ones in the incubator. He was ready to go grab out whatever eggs she is sitting on.

Quote:
That was nice of him. Now days I don't believe I would answer such an ad on Craig's list though. I want to do this on the KISS system. I have access to a processing plant if I decide to venture into that but for now, on the hoof or not I think I will keep my birds home for the time being.

I wanted 4 total...had 1 rescuer pullet for over 9 months before her first egg...bought 3 more expensive pullets...lost two who flew away first day leaving me with 2...went to buy 2 more and ended up taking all 6 the guy on craigslist had...so now I have 8...he said they all layed daily until about a week ago...also said he ran out of feed 2 days before...4 of the six have good vents and none have mites or fleas or tics but are rangy....all will be wormed just in case...all are taming nicely and settling in well but no eggs except for my first hen Sookie....I know older hens produce less eggs and that is fine with me.....they will have a great retirement home :)

You had a great set of plans for the set up you were putting together. I actually planned on following your progress. I used to live on the 9th Hole of Myers Park in Charlotte, N.C. I remember the strict covenants dictating how our property had to be manicured. Never again. Now I live so far out in the country when I punch in a destination on my GPS the voice simply states: “I don’t have a **** clue!” Anyway, good luck with making the adjustments to get your plan back on track.

Thanks. Actually I live right next to the ladies tee off box on the ninth hole. I don't even golf, but have lived on about 3 different courses, and like you, I wont ever do it again. Hopefully, it wont be long before I can start my plan all over again.

This is the only picture that I took of it, so hopefully that can help you a little bit. In between the back railings, the bottom pallet was a half door.

Three years ago I started with 7.

They all molted at the same time..... actually had to buy grocery store eggs for three months!

Decided that would never happen again so purchased 7 more, although these are young they lay med/almost large eggs. That wont do either.....

Two of my best layers got taken by some predator, and my EE passed away.... So ordered 17 chicks to ship in June, 12 to ship in May, I have my eye on a few at the feed store (trying to wait till I have chicks so I can brood them together.

And then this Easter HAL came along.... Ordered hatching eggs and filled one incubator and filled the other with my back yard mix (one of my hens was a roo). Total in incubator 95.

Oh yes, I had a broody hen about three months ago and she hatched out three chicks.

My husband about freaked over the incubator..... told him It was ok... the average hatch rate is 50% (or expect that even though often its much better, didn't tell him that part) and then half of those will be Roos.... So basically I will have about 25 new hens
roll.png
, right? However, my daughters teacher asked "What have you done!?"
lau.gif

We were building a new coop anyway,, guess it will have to be bigger.

Three years ago I started with 7.
Now that is some BIG chicken math!
They all molted at the same time..... actually had to buy grocery store eggs for three months!

Decided that would never happen again so purchased 7 more, although these are young they lay med/almost large eggs. That wont do either.....

Two of my best layers got taken by some predator, and my EE passed away.... So ordered 17 chicks to ship in June, 12 to ship in May, I have my eye on a few at the feed store (trying to wait till I have chicks so I can brood them together.

And then this Easter HAL came along.... Ordered hatching eggs and filled one incubator and filled the other with my back yard mix (one of my hens was a roo).  Total in incubator 95.

Oh yes, I had a broody hen about three months ago and she hatched out three chicks. 

My husband about freaked over the incubator..... told him It was ok... the average hatch rate is 50% (or expect that even though often its much better, didn't tell him that part) and then half of those will be Roos.... So basically I will have about 25 new hens :rolleyes: , right? However, my daughters teacher asked "What have you done!?" :lau  

We were building a new coop anyway,, guess it will have to be bigger.

I started with 6 and now have 180 layer hens and 4 rooster s and run a small chicken business.... small but growing.lol. gotta love chicken math.
I think I want to be you when I grow up. LOL

I thought maybe I'd start with 6 or so. Brought home 12 yesterday. Called today about a couple more--plan on getting those tomorrow. And then next week they have three other breeds coming in and you know I'll need a minimum of two of each. And this is only day 2 of my chicken journey.

Back
Top Bottom