Chicken mating thread !!!

Some where out there is the article that discusses how a hen can actually decide if she wants to accept the deposit by the rooster.  She can eject it if she desires.  For instance, she has judged that rooster as not of the highest quality with which to preserve her genetics, she ejects his deposit, and she waits for a genetically better rooster to mate with her.

I just read earlier today, that the hens with the largest combs are the most attractive to the roosters and get mated with most often.  I didn't read all of the article so I didn't see if it discussed the differences between combs (cushion, pea, rose, straight, etc.).

I have had two roosters protecting a flock much of the time (second one is backup).  The dominant rooster does purposely give the less dominant rooster opportunities to mate with the hens.  I've seen it happen and read about the system.

In some settings where only single male is though to be garnering all the matings, there can be a satellite that gets some, usually a minority. The satellite male in chickens could be thus a paid backup in case the harem master is lost ensuring the original harem master's offspring get protection without a lapse. With my birds, a cock with his harem of hen(s) and offspring can be constantly shadowed by a bullstag which would slip seamlessly into the harem master role of cock is removed. Bullstag then protects all offspring because at least some are his.

The mating game gets real interesting when you start looking at the role of sneaking and cuckholdery which can be perpetrated by both genders.

I have even seen such in a type of fish where the differing roles are lifelong.

You said anything ! I laughed so hard I cried ... Today My Grandmother and Mom came to visit . Mom comes in the house and says " Go do something with those Chickens". I ask Mom what is wrong with Them? Her reply was(Mom had 10 Kids ) " Those Chickens are doing the nite stuff in front of My Mother". My chickens were born 3/13/14 . Well I went out there and sure enough that was going on . Is this normal (teenage hormones) or was this a special show for Granny and Mom? The Roo hasn't started Crowing . Both Mom and Granny said "I have never seen anything like That in all My born days". LOL P.S. I plan to show Both of Them this .
lau.gif

Some where out there is the article that discusses how a hen can actually decide if she wants to accept the deposit by the rooster. She can eject it if she desires. For instance, she has judged that rooster as not of the highest quality with which to preserve her genetics, she ejects his deposit, and she waits for a genetically better rooster to mate with her.

I just read earlier today, that the hens with the largest combs are the most attractive to the roosters and get mated with most often. I didn't read all of the article so I didn't see if it discussed the differences between combs (cushion, pea, rose, straight, etc.).

I have had two roosters protecting a flock much of the time (second one is backup). The dominant rooster does purposely give the less dominant rooster opportunities to mate with the hens. I've seen it happen and read about the system.

Tell your jr. roo that he should be very grateful. My sr. roo will run across the entire front and then back yard to knock my jr. roo off a hen no matter what he's doing (and I mean no matter what).
roll.png

In some settings where only single male is though to be garnering all the matings, there can be a satellite that gets some, usually a minority. The satellite male in chickens could be thus a paid backup in case the harem master is lost ensuring the original harem master's offspring get protection without a lapse. With my birds, a cock with his harem of hen(s) and offspring can be constantly shadowed by a bullstag which would slip seamlessly into the harem master role of cock is removed. Bullstag then protects all offspring because at least some are his.

The mating game gets real interesting when you start looking at the role of sneaking and cuckholdery which can be perpetrated by both genders.

I have even seen such in a type of fish where the differing roles are lifelong.

Wow. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this! =)

I have 2 roos who are brothers, hatched 2 days apart, their Father was a black Silkie, their Mother was a Buff Orp. Their half sister (same Father, different Mother), is being tag teamed by the boys, and she has gone broody. I had to ask a friend for some eggs, so I would not have special needs chicks. Now my Bantie Hen is going to be chased by both boys for the next 21 days.

LOL It was so Funny I had to read it to My Sister ! Her words were " Where does She Live? " I told Her give Me a sec to see . When I told Her Texas ;She replied " Bet those Chickens are from West Virginia". I told Her She is so full of it Her eyes should have been Brown.
lau.gif

I have 2 roos who are brothers, hatched 2 days apart, their Father was a black Silkie, their Mother was a Buff Orp. Their half sister (same Father, different Mother), is being tag teamed by the boys, and she has gone broody. I had to ask a friend for some eggs, so I would not have special needs chicks. Now my Bantie Hen is going to be chased by both boys for the next 21 days.

Hope all goes well with your broody and your Bantie!!!
Do you plan to separate the Banty from the boys?

Thank you for that info.. I have a question & have been curious since i got my rooster but have not been any closer to knowing if I have a dud or not.. This is Bob, Im told is a 9 month old Aracana,I was also told when he mates with my hens they will lay blue eggs, his crows like crazy but so far no sign of any action.

Thank you for that info.. I have a question & have been curious since i got my rooster but have not been any closer to knowing if I have a dud or not.. This is Bob, Im told is a 9 month old Aracana,I was also told when he mates with my hens they will lay blue eggs, his crows like crazy but so far no sign of any action.
He might have already mated them,it's real quick (only a few seconds) and he might have not just wait and give him some time with his ladies and get settled in and he should be a good rooster for your flock

Hi Chicken Farmer,
I have had him for quite awhile now so its not a matter of him settling in & if he has mated then there would be blue eggs & I only have everyday looking eggs.,white & brown..Thanks anyway for your imput...

This thread has photos to show you what to look for to see if the eggs are fertile. If you see the bull’s eye instead of the dot, he is mating the hens.

Fertile Egg Photos
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

The hen’s genetics control what color eggs she lays. It does not matter what rooster she mates with, it just depends on the genetics of her mother and father and how those genetics went together.

He’s not a true Araucana. A true Araucana does not have a tail. You can see what a true Araucana or Ameraucana looks like from this link. It is likely he is an Eater Egger. Some hatcheries call their Easter Eggers Araucana or Ameraucana, but they really are not. Some hatcheries already had their colored egg laying flock developed before the Ameraucana or Araucana breeds were even developed.

http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf

If your Easter Egger has the blue egg gene, the pullet offspring of that cross will lay blue or green eggs if he has two copies of that gene or about half will lay blue or green eggs if he has one blue egg gene and one white egg gene. But you have to hatch the eggs before the genetics have an effect.

Back
Top Bottom