Chicken mating thread !!!

I'm pretty sure there's no hidden nest. Even when we keep her cooped up there's no eggs. It's super weird I know. I posted about it and nobody had heard of that. But maybe she will start again after she's done molting! :)

I guess my rooster is pretty weird because he tries mate with the young pullets but they aren't even close to laying. And the old one hasn't layed for a while. To be clear none of them are squatting for him. They usally run but he's started jumping on the old one when she's down and does his business really fast. She's molting and she got attacked by hawk yesterday so she's probably just taking it. Either way he shouldn't be trying to mate with any of them but I think he's just frustrated because all his girls are too young or too old.

I'm pretty sure there's no hidden nest. Even when we keep her cooped up there's no eggs. It's super weird I know. I posted about it and nobody had heard of that. But maybe she will start again after she's done molting! :)

maybe, who knows

I guess my rooster is pretty weird because he tries mate with the young pullets but they aren't even close to laying. And the old one hasn't layed for a while. To be clear none of them are squatting for him. They usally run but he's started jumping on the old one when she's down and does his business really fast. She's molting and she got attacked by hawk yesterday so she's probably just taking it. Either way he shouldn't be trying to mate with any of them but I think he's just frustrated because all his girls are too young or too old.

IDK about weird. There are some beds that can be like this (IDK a list of the top of my head out anything, some beds are just more aggressive in mating than others).
What breed is he? Out may serve you better to check out the breed specific thread for him. This is beginning to sound more like behavior and/or flock dynamics than just mating.

But like I said before, I'm really just a newb.

Last edited:
...or he's just a 'bad rooster'......I'd be introducing him to noodles.

No he's a good boy. He does do anything to hurt the girls. He doesn't grab them or anything. He mostly just dances. He's also super sweet to me. And he took on a hawk the other day. Good thing I was close by or that would be the end of him. I think once my girls start putting out he'll be a happy little rooster.

I don't understand if rooster won't mate with hens that don't lay, why is my rooster constantly dancing for me? He doesn't really dance for anyone else, but I spend the most time with them by far. I also don't understand why he sees me as a hen and not another rooster because I do things show that I am dominate, like picking him up. He also wants to protect me. One time my dad was chasing me (we were just playing) and I was screaming a little too dramatically and Georgie got all upset. He made this horrible noise, puffed up all of his feathers, and ran up to my dad.

I don't understand if rooster won't mate with hens that don't lay, why is my rooster constantly dancing for me? He doesn't really dance for anyone else, but I spend the most time with them by far. I also don't understand why he sees me as a hen and not another rooster because I do things show that I am dominate, like picking him up. He also wants to protect me. One time my dad was chasing me (we were just playing) and I was screaming a little too dramatically and Georgie got all upset. He made this horrible noise, puffed up all of his feathers, and ran up to my dad.

I would say that, while dancing is part I'd mating, they aren't the same.
I had a cockerel like that. He was quite tasty with dumplings. He danced with me; I figured it was just bc he was young. When another larger young cockerel tried dancing with me, he chased him all over the yard and wanted to kill him. (The other one was tasty too.)
I have 2 good cocks. A lead and a junior. They're protective of the hens. I taught then not to dance with me and they only tried one. I taught then not to challenge me, and they only tried one. These are good cocks that are intelligent enough to learn and understand that 1. I'm in charge no matter what their hormones tell them, and 2. It's their job to protect the hens and chicks and juveniles.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Your roo thinks that you are one of his hens. If you doubt me, just spread out your hand flat on the ground in front of him the next time that he dances for you.
ep.gif

Your roo thinks that you are one of his hens.  If you doubt me, just spread out your hand flat on the ground in front of him the next time that he dances for you.  :eek:

Yeah, what @chickengeorgeto is getting at, that's not my definition of a good cock (well, only if you don't mind him NOT acknowledging you as the lead cock).

I think he's a good boy as long as he's not aggressive. He's always been super sweet. I can pick him up and mess with him and he doesn't even mind. If his behavior changes when he gets older then we'll have to think of something to do because I'm not dealing with an aggressive rooster. I'm a vegetarian and even though my family eats meat, none of us could ever kill or eat any of our birds. He was an oops rooster. It seems so mean but we are keeping him to protect our girls. We have a lot of predators and hopefully they will take him first. Honestly I'll be surprised if he makes it through the summer. :/

Back
Top Bottom