Chicken myths and old wives' tales, please!

Quote:
=========

Just read this thread and boy howdy, we Americans don't have a clue unless we grow up with these critters. I can't count how many people have asked me about hens not being able to lay eggs without a rooster, but never has anyone asked how long they nurse!

Geez.

Of course, I didn't know much either, and it took me a while to get out of our family's mindset that only white eggs were edible.

Double geez.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine:
"I'd love to get some hens, but I guess I'd have to have a rooster for eggs."
"No you don't, they lay on their own."
"Wha?- How?!"
"Well... never mind that."
I have a medifore (cannot spell!) that I could of said, but I keep that one between us woman
roll.png

Some churches celebrate St Francis of Assisi by having animals to church on his feast day.

Quote:
erm... gotta ask... why were you taking a rooster to church?

Lady at church needed a roo and I had a spare.
hu.gif
big_smile.png

There were a few old biddies shaking their heads and muttering about bringing a chicken in the church....I said, "He is one of God's creatures!"
lol.png

How 'bout these:
Roosters are so mean! They peck at people all the time. (I cuddle Mcnugget all the time. He only pecked me once when I had food.)
That's not a hen! It has those red things on it's faceT
The girls are not chickens, they're hens. The boys are not chickens, they're roosters. (Then what IS a chicken, mister smart alec.)
Hens only lay for a year. (try saying that to Pam.)
Brown eggs come out of a chickens butt! (Then where do the white ones come from.)
All chickens look the same.

Sorry if some one already posted these!
yippiechickie.gif

These signs where placed at my county fair like they where proud of them! I couldn't believe how they where teaching the public these 'tales'. I laughed and had to take a few photos!!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw those signs. I am curious about whether you said anything to those in charge. Like just where they got their "information".

Hilarous thread! I've really enjoyed reading it.

My contributions..

A guy I work with did 4-H with chickens and his leaders apparently told him that there was no nutritional value without a rooster to fertilize the eggs.

Also, we dyed our brown eggs for Easter this year and most people told me that they didn't think you could dye brown eggs.

Not true! They turned out beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom