Chicken myths and old wives' tales, please!

"Corn will make your chickens hot so don't feed it in the summer."

"All roosters are mean and will attack you."

"Brown eggs are better than white eggs because (insert numerous reasons here)."

"If a chicken looks at you when its being killed, your face will appear in its eyes after death." As cool as this sounds, I've never had it happen.

A.T. Hagan :

"Brown eggs are better than white eggs because (insert numerous reasons here)."

I like this one. Someone got eggs from me and exclaimed, "Brown eggs? I LOVE brown eggs!" They really just love farm fresh eggs, but they associate brown with farm fresh, and there you have it!
smile.png

Quote:
erm... gotta ask... why were you taking a rooster to church?

yuckyuck.gif

Was wondering the same thing myself. Maybe the rooster needed baptized. Those sinning roosters!
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Here's one of my favorites...

A white chicken=white eggs, red chicken=brown eggs. Said person was aghast to find that my Aussies lay light brown eggs. Then I proceeded to tell her about Black Minorcas and White Rocks, LOL!
lau.gif

"Fertilized eggs are better for you, anyway," said my landlady when I first told her one of my chicks turned out to be a rooster.

Although it was a positive statement, I did think it was odd. It sure helps when people at work ask about the eggs I sell. (My landlady is also a co-worker.)

It's an odd conundrum... You apparently can't get eggs without a rooster, but as equally believed, you can't eat fertile eggs!
Maybe you're supposed to just wave the rooster in front of the hens every now and then...
hmm.png
Rooster condoms?
lol.png

I recently attempted to explain to my sister's MIL why NO, a chicken tractor (approx 6' long as described, maybe 2' wide) could NOT house 20-30 hens-- ever-- I don't care what she 'saw in a picture'. She didn't believe me, because she saw it in a picture. I think even commercial production hens aren't THAT crowded:rolleyes:
roll.png

Why that fruitcake wants/needs 20-30 hens, I have no idea. I'm not terribly concerned that she'll actually attempt such a thing... she is a high order fruitcake, after all.

I've heard that fertilzied eggs taste richer and are therefore "more fancy" than 'normal eggs'. Also heard fert. eggs go bad faster becuase they are fertilized.
I can't taste the difference
hu.gif
some people.....

We got some eggs from my mom's boss' mom and they were brown and green. we ran out of white store eggs, but still had the colored, and my mom told my little sister(15) to make some brownies. She said she couldn't because there weren't anymore chicken eggs.......
ep.gif
clap.gif

we busted out laughing. quess she thought the colored ones weren't from chickens. she also said she didn't like the farm eggs becuse they were fresh (from a chickens bottom).......

Last edited:
Reading this thread made me laugh.
lol.png
I had to explain to EVERY SINGLE person after I got chickens how it was possible to get eggs without a Rooster and hen mating first. I'm a city girl who moved to the country and has all city girl friends. Many also say "Eww..don't they smell really bad??"

Quote:
I'd be concerned about that vet. Even a small animal vet should know lice are species specific. That is pretty basic information.

My favorite remains, I won't eat your eggs, they came out of a chicken's butt. Or even worse, I'll buy my meat in a grocery store -- no animals were harmed during the processing of this drumstick --

Back
Top Bottom