Chicken penicillin dosage

No it's gross drippy green and smelly.
Update: her infection is cleared up and she is back to her old ( fence hopping) self. Just ugly.

Last edited:
I hope the injections went well and your hen got better. You were brave to take on giving Penicillin injections. :hugs Those are hard. I haven't liked when I've had to give Penicillin injections to birds, but it sometimes is such a big help.

If it's useful to anyone in the future, I've put together some suggestions on giving Penicillin injections to birds at http://sites.google.com/a/poultrype...oultry-podiatry#chickens_penicillin_injection .

[COLOR=008080]You can also give Penicillin (or Amoxicillin instead) via pieces of pill tablets or soluble powder from pill capsules.[/COLOR] You can use pills that are for people, or order pills from TwinCityPoultrySupplies.com or FirstStateVetSupply.com. Give 125 mg per day for at least 3-4 days.

Thank you for this great advice! Twin City has pill form that I'd like to try. What's your suggestion on how to get her to take the medicine?

Ok this might sound like a silly thing to ask, but just found out you can give hens penlcilln, and just been reading up how to make your own from mouldy lemons or bread, as I'm not able to get any sort of medication for my sick hen, could this be possible to use for her.

No aliren, I don't think homemade penicillin would ever be a good idea. Mould is usually toxic to chickens, especially when they eat or breathe it. Feeding your hen some plain probiotic yogurt, fresh chick feed, and perhaps giving a vitamin supplement for a week or two would be the best way to handle it.
What symptoms are you seeing in your hen?

No aliren,  I don't think homemade penicillin would ever be a good idea. Mould is usually toxic to chickens, especially when they eat or breathe it. Feeding your hen some plain probiotic yogurt, fresh chick feed, and perhaps giving a vitamin supplement for a week or two would be the best way to handle it.
What symptoms are you seeing in your hen?

I thought that might be the answer, gave her the yogurt today , she only ate a little, iv got some vitamin supplement coming, iv not got chick feed but been giving her some grower pellets. She's been on a supplement called respite on and off for weeks, but no improvement.

I thought that might be the answer, gave her the yogurt today , she only ate a little, iv got some vitamin supplement coming, iv not got chick feed but been giving her some grower pellets. She's been on a supplement called respite on and off for weeks, but no improvement.

She's been sneezing and coughing shaking her head, she needs antibiotics but just can't get any phone vets to ask if they could help but every one just say no. Her feathers are growing well but she's just losing so much weight been giving her eggs which she eats a little and mealworms.

You can buy penicillin at a feedstore; usually in a refrigerator. Mine was $7.99 for 100 ml; plus 39c each for syringes. If you can't find penicillin there, you may be able to get fish antibiotics at a pet store.

the dose is .10cc per lb
I use a 20 gauge needle. given in the breast muscle, alternating sides each time.
once a day for at LEAST 3 days. 7 days is about the limit

Does anyone know if this applies to antibiotics that are 300,000 units per ml? The label only shows large farm animals so I'm scared to give it to our girl that has a respiratory infection.
Please help asap!

the dose is .10cc per lb
I use a 20 gauge needle. given in the breast muscle, alternating sides each time.
once a day for at LEAST 3 days. 7 days is about the limit for safely injecting.

What is wrong with her?
are you sure she needs this?
I have 8-9 year old hen that is very raspy- can hear gurgle- so spot to a vet who wouldn’t see her but told me if a penicillin that I could use for her. So for a week straight every morning she received 1cc. She cleared up just a little. Now what??

Back
Top Bottom