Ivermectin dosage for silkies

Feb 13, 2024
I have 4… 8-9 month old silkies with scaly leg mites and I can’t find the proper dosage for ivermectin pour on anywhere. I posted on Facebook and one person commented and said a few drops per bird. Is this correct? I don’t want to overdose my chickens.

Ivermectin is dosed by weight.

Even if you use Ivermectin, for SLM, you may also want to apply some castor oil or NuStock cream to the legs at least weekly to help them heal.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/page-2#post-19965544
The dose is not drops. :D Birds should be weighed or at least have their weights guessed and the proper amount should be given. I have bolded the amount I use.

There are two types, one is injectable, the other is a pour on. The doses are different.

The max dose for 1% Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.045 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml.

The minimum effective dose for 1% Ivermectin is 0.2 mg/kg which is 0.009 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.045 ml

The max dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.09 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.45 ml.

The minimum effective dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 0.5 mg/kg, which is 0.045 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml

DO NOT USE this on your dogs unless you are working with a vet!

Back
Top Bottom