Chicken Photos Thread

Pics
Well, they had issues with prolapse when I got them (so, shortly after they started laying eggs). I had just been more vigilant at checking them daily and catching it early when it would happen the first year I had them because things were actually improving with my TBI instead of regressing like it is now. 

I'm actually an illustrator and am working on my degree in art history right now. :)

Totally off subject, but last night I watched "The Chicken Chick" do surgery on a bumblefoot. It was stimulating, to say the least. Involved much screaming from me, not the chick. I am praying none of mine ever get it. BUT, any vet could do that, even if they didnt want to.

AAHH We went camping this weekend...found someone reliable to watch the chickens...actually two people...and we still drove back Saturday morning to check on them...Everything was good!!  Though our chicken sitters don't wake up as early as us so the babes were ready to be let out when we got there at 8:00 am.  We usually let them out about 4:30 when we leave for work.  We borrowed a game cam from a neighbor and set up but must not have had it set up right because the only pics on it were of my face while I was trying to put it up!! LOL  

I love the idea of an alarm!!!  We did install flood lights and it seems to be helping...nothing back as of yet.  We will drive back when we go in August but I think we've actually found someone that we can rely on...fingers crossed. :fl   I think twelve hours in August heat would be a little much for them!!!

Yes I watch the temp, when it hits 90 they get ice water in old pans. They envelope me till I get it poured, then they drink lots and take turns wading. The Orps seem to also like to sit. I tried their baby pool that was their brooder, but they dont like it. Tomorrow I am attempting an air conditioned room out of a big box.,
We have also baby minder in the coop that stays on 24/7. So we know everything they are saying, and the Accidental Rooster wakes us up crowing. We ALSO have aviary netting, mostly to keep them in run. The Legbars, I am sure could just fly away to the trees. AND we have a snake trap, if the need arises. And I want a fake owl.
I read to just keep adding layers of protection as you go. I am curious if anyone on this site has ever had NO losses from predators.
Please tell, how did you find reliable chicken help? Do they camp out at your house for the time you are away? Are they expensive? I used to pay $60 a day for experienced live in dog help, and that was a decade ago. Even though they were experienced, I rolled thru them. I dont get how such a cushy easy job is so hard.

Nelly with Oats.

Yes I watch the temp, when it hits 90 they get ice water in old pans. They envelope me till I get it poured, then they drink lots and take turns wading. The Orps seem to also like to sit. I tried their baby pool that was their brooder, but they dont like it. Tomorrow I am attempting an air conditioned room out of a big box.,
We have also baby minder in the coop that stays on 24/7. So we know everything they are saying, and the Accidental Rooster wakes us up crowing. We ALSO have aviary netting, mostly to keep them in run. The Legbars, I am sure could just fly away to the trees. AND we have a snake trap, if the need arises. And I want a fake owl.
I read to just keep adding layers of protection as you go. I am curious if anyone on this site has ever had NO losses from predators.
Please tell, how did you find reliable chicken help? Do they camp out at your house for the time you are away? Are they expensive? I used to pay $60 a day for experienced live in dog help, and that was a decade ago. Even though they were experienced, I rolled thru them. I dont get how such a cushy easy job is so hard.
The temp is starting to get up there here too finally. They are getting frozen treats on the hot days. I mix fruits and veggies (and a few mealworms) with water and freeze then give it to them. They love it. I also started adding electrolytes to their water again. I'll change to apple cider vinegar once the temp comes back down. I am thinking of getting them a fan but the wind blows a lot here and while they are pretty sheltered they do still get a breeze and they have lots of shade.

I do have the fake owl that is "watching" my garden but he hasn't stopped the rabbits from chewing their way in and eating everything so maybe I should move him to the top of the chicken coop.
I have legbars too and you're right those little butts will fly right out if you're not careful. Our coop and run are covered with wire but we have a "forage run" as we call it that goes around the normal run and coop that we let them out in during the day and it isn't covered. The rest of the chickens (except the ee's) I don't really worry about trying to fly out but I do with the legbars! They are so entertaining though, I just love them!!

Oh yea I thought I'd throw this out here and see what you all thought. Somebody recently told me that you can purchase dog urine and have the people watching your chickens spray this outside the coop before they leave at night. With us our dogs mark the perimeter every day but when we are gone they go with us so this doesn't happen. I can't help but think that if you can indeed buy dog urine (not sure how they obtain it)
hu.gif
but it seems like it might help. Keep predators thinking that there still is a dog home??? Anybody ever heard of this??

Don't know which is worse in Florida, the humidity or the rain...rain...and yes....rain. Oh and the rain. I shouldn't complain. It may flood when it gets going but least it don't flash flood like back at my old stomping grounds in Texas.
1st picture...the road's about 15 ft from the fence...and down at an incline. All you can see of it is the river that God replaced it with. This is at the side of the property

2nd picture...the front of the property...and the front of the house this morning.The incline up front isn't so incliney so that water is coming up at a nasty pace.
<---this part is the car port, just outside our bedroom window. Nice, right? Yikes.

I see an avian/exotic vet for my birds. She was surprisingly difficult to find but has been well worth it for me..

Thank you I will get looking then. My black frizzle spazy I do believe has ended up being a hen so looks like I may be able to keep her but scared her best buddy silki is a roo so will need to rehome him but is she going to be ok I dont want her to get depressed any thoughts?

Thank you I will get looking then. My black frizzle spazy I do believe has ended up being a hen so looks like I may be able to keep her but scared her best buddy silki is a roo so will need to rehome him but is she going to be ok I dont want her to get depressed any thoughts?

Get a replacement for him as soon as possible. They're a flock animal & are better if they have a other's to live with.

Agreed. They are flock brained. Our Jeanie was alone for a little after we rehomed the boys and Tippy ended up dying...she DID seem unhappy. To the point we got the twins then she perked up and got back to eating good.

The temp is starting to get up there here too finally.  They are getting frozen treats on the hot days.  I mix fruits and veggies (and a few mealworms) with water and freeze then give it to them.  They love it.  I also started adding electrolytes to their water again.  I'll change to apple cider vinegar once the temp comes back down.  I am thinking of getting them a fan but the wind blows a lot here and while they are pretty sheltered they do still get a breeze and they have lots of shade.  

I do have the fake owl that is "watching" my garden but he hasn't stopped the rabbits from chewing their way in and eating everything so maybe I should move him to the top of the chicken coop.  
I have legbars too and you're right those little butts will fly right out if you're not careful.  Our coop and run are covered with wire but we have a "forage run" as we call it that goes around the normal run and coop that we let them out in during the day and it isn't covered.  The rest of the chickens (except the ee's) I don't really worry about trying to fly out but I do with the legbars!  They are so entertaining though, I just love them!! 

Oh yea I thought I'd throw this out here and see what you all thought.  Somebody recently told me that you can purchase dog urine and have the people watching your chickens spray this outside the coop before they leave at night.  With us our dogs mark the perimeter every day but when we are gone they go with us so this doesn't happen.  I can't help but think that if you can indeed buy dog urine (not sure how they obtain it) :confused:  but it seems like it might help.  Keep predators thinking that there still is a dog home??? Anybody ever heard of this??

Good Lord! What an earning opportunity!

Back
Top Bottom