Chicken plucked raw

sparrow55

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2020
I had one of my Dorkings, Lottie injured by my dog, he is a springer poodle cross and is never out when they are out, but when my son put them in the barn this evening, and he must have missed her, my dog would not come in and when I went to the fence I saw what he had done to her, she was on her back , legs straight up, and I thought he had killed her, but he had not, just pulled feathers out on her back and breast. She was all wet, but it had been raining and the back yard where the chicken range is soaked still (Vermont, we had floods and the ground is saturated). No puncture wounds, I sprayed with Veticyn, or however you spell it, but she shivered and trembled in her box, so I wrapped her in a towel and layed with her in my bed under a fleece until the trembling stopped. She kept closing her eyes, and for a few minutes I thought she would just die of shock. I did a body check, her legs seem fine, they flex back and forth, and I want her to rest so I don't want to poke around to much, she is in heavy laying mode right now, so I am concerned some eggs inside of her may have gotten crushed. I guess I should just observe, but I did lose a Freedom Ranger to this sort of thing 2 months ago, she had egg peritonitis from internal injuries, and did not make it. There are no avian vets close by at all, but I do have all sorts of things for animal first aid, healed a chick from wry neck and bad spasms, have natural remedies. I believe she is in a lot of pain though. I read that a baby aspirin cut in half is alright for a hen to have for pain. Can anyone here verify that? I sometimes rue the day I got this dog, I have always had English Shepherds and they never once bothered anything that belonged to the homestead, they just protect them. My son did not know she was still out, and she must have been separated from the flock, because she is like that, independent and insists on laying anywhere but the barn. She is a dear, she is my crazy Lottie, so I want to make sure she is not in bad pain and that her egg laying equipment has not been injured. She is going on 4 years. (My hens die of old age, I do not cull, but I do get replacement younger ones every 3 years).

I'm sorry about your hen.

Get her through shock. Keep her relatively warm and provide her with sugar water or electrolytes. Once she's drinking on her own, then offer a bit of food.
Look her over for any other injuries.

I would not give aspirin. You don't know if she's suffered internal injuries, which can be likely from a dog, they often squeeze the bird.

Photos of the wounds if you have them. Keep areas that are raw spray with the Vetericyn or you can use triple antibiotic ointment.

I'm sorry about your hen.

Get her through shock. Keep her relatively warm and provide her with sugar water or electrolytes. Once she's drinking on her own, then offer a bit of food.
Look her over for any other injuries.

I would not give aspirin. You don't know if she's suffered internal injuries, which can be likely from a dog, they often squeeze the bird.

Photos of the wounds if you have them. Keep areas that are raw spray with the Vetericyn or you can use triple antibiotic ointment.
She made it through the night and re positioned herself and pooped, poop looks normal. I used the Vetericyn right away last evening, and before bed I put high grade medicinal manuka honey all over the inflamed area, this morning the inflammation is gone and wounds are quiet, small areas of skin tears that are granulating well, she refused water, but talked to me a little, not shaking at all. Thank you for advising against the aspirin, I was not sure, the honey is soothing and does help with inflammation pain. There is no blood anywhere, no puncture wounds, he did not bite her, just pulled feathers, soft mouthed, more pulling than biting. I hope she is okay on the inside but time will tell. thank you again for responding

Back
Top Bottom