chicken poop fertilizer??

Fred's Hens :

Actually, they hold it in, waiting until they are at your porch, steps, deck, the sidewalk or paved drive where you park your car. Then? It's bombs away!!!

lau.gif
gig.gif

Actually, they hold it in, waiting until they are at your porch, steps, deck, the sidewalk or paved drive where you park your car. Then? It's bombs away!!!

lau.gif
When I had geese I swore that's what they did!
Usually when I'm digging a new flower bed (we have sand here) I shoveled out the chicken yard and added that to the sand along with any other goodies (veggie scraps, leaves, etc) I had. But I worked it in really good and then planted about a week later. I never had any problems. But no, you don't want to add fresh chicken manure directly to the plants.​

Fred's Hens :

Yep that is so true.
gig.gif

Here's a liquid recipe I found by googling Chicken poop fertilizer recipe. I have not tried it and yes, it is calling for human urine.

Add the amount of dry ingredients shown below to a 5-gallon bucket, then add water to fill, and steep for three days.
Strain or decant the tea and dilute as shown below.
To make fertilizer tea from urine, simply dilute the urine in 20 parts water, and it’s ready to use.
Water plants with these solutions no more than once every two weeks.

1/5 bucket of dried chicken manure with wood shavings
1/5 bucket of seaweed
2/3 bucket of fresh grass clippings

urine diluted 20:1

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homemade-fertilizer-tea-recipes-zm0z11zkon.aspx#ixzz1HuZENjCr

I recently piled up six wheelbarrow loads of soiled brooder bedding in my garden waiting on for when the sweet potato starts come in. Dig it in when I plant the starts and get a great crop of spuds come the fall.

Mine is not to the point of being ready for the garden, but my mom has put chicken sh** in her garden for years. Her coop is raised and has a slatted floor. So, every spring she shovels out from under the coop and puts that in the garden. Since, the majority is a year or more to several months old, I don't think she worries too much about it being too hot. In any case, she gets vegetables up the yin yang every year, so she must be doing something right. Next year when I dig out the coop and fertilize the strawberries, grapes, fruit trees, and blue berries and vegetables we will see what happens.

I grow vegetables for market resale. There's nothing better than chicken manure. That said, I have to follow State Ag Dept guidelines for applications of manure for Day To Plant and Days To Market. There are other concerns, however slight, about e-coli and salmonella.
Following these guidelines is merely prudent. Fall and Winter? Apply raw manure at will. Spring and summer? Stockpile for fall/winter application. Simple way to remember.

Back
Top Bottom