Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Quote:
Hopefully we can start selling eggs in the spring. One of our Polish in the black/chocolate/khaki pen started laying yesterday!

None of the eggs that we got in NY hatched. We were pretty bummed. But, we have a gorgeous trio of Tolbunts that will be laying in the spring, so we will have them to hatch.

We are heading to Nationals on Saturday! So excited!!!

What? You are going too? Am I the ONLY chicken owner in America NOT going!?! I am so jealous. I am determined to be showing Silkies and Ameraucanas next year. Say hi to Mary for me... I think she is showing one of her birds.

When your birds are up to production...I'll give you my shipping address...I could use more Silkies. And, dare I say...Polish!
hide.gif
You guys brought me over to the dark side!
barnie.gif

I LOVE Polish! They are my favorites out of all of them. They are just too cute not to love.

I am excited for Nationals. Hopefully we will be showing next year, but this year we are only going as spectators. We sold some birds that we have to take out and bought a trio of Goldneck d'Uccles and a quad of mottled d'Uccles. I can't wait to get them! We also have to look for Polish for Bob (I'm sure we will look for us, too)

Quote:
I am an egg addict...I like the sizes and colors. Processing my dual-purpose chickens is nonexistent because they have become my pets.
hide.gif
I can go into raising ducks (even the meat varieties) knowing full well I don't have the heart (or is it guts?) to eat them! I am a pathetic farmer!

Can someone tell me the purpose of call ducks?

I think they are right up there with Silkies.
hide.gif
Their purpose is yet to be seen!
gig.gif

Quote:
Now we're talking...what ducks are you interested in? I've been on Holderread's site (www.holderreadfarm.com)...I think I want a little bit of everything!
th.gif

Anconas, I couldn't stop bidding.....so they are being shipped tomorrow, I hope. I won the auction from bishopschickens.

I need to go and find a picture of Anconas...

edited to add...FOUND some! They are pretty! Any idea what egg color they lay and frequency?

Last edited:
Quote:

hide.gif
gig.gif

AHEM!
smack.gif
Oh, and in case I forgot to tell you...
smack.gif

big_smile.png

Quote:
What? You are going too? Am I the ONLY chicken owner in America NOT going!?! I am so jealous. I am determined to be showing Silkies and Ameraucanas next year. Say hi to Mary for me... I think she is showing one of her birds.

When your birds are up to production...I'll give you my shipping address...I could use more Silkies. And, dare I say...Polish!
hide.gif
You guys brought me over to the dark side!
barnie.gif

I LOVE Polish! They are my favorites out of all of them. They are just too cute not to love.

I am excited for Nationals. Hopefully we will be showing next year, but this year we are only going as spectators. We sold some birds that we have to take out and bought a trio of Goldneck d'Uccles and a quad of mottled d'Uccles. I can't wait to get them! We also have to look for Polish for Bob (I'm sure we will look for us, too)

If Bob is moving to SC...are all of his birds (silkies) going with? I think it is a shorter drive for them to NY...just saying.
big_smile.png
Oh...when you see Bob, tell him that lav I bought is awesome! I didn't expect dark feathers on the head. I'm hoping for a boy. I had a LOUSY, LOUSY second hatch from Catdance (not her fault...the eggs were perfect). Until I make an incubator like yours and Jer's I can't keep going through that hassle.

Before chickenstock, you and your DH were infectious on getting Polish. I have not regretted getting some...I definitely will be getting more!

Quote:

If Bob is moving to SC...are all of his birds (silkies) going with? I think it is a shorter drive for them to NY...just saying.
big_smile.png
Oh...when you see Bob, tell him that lav I bought is awesome! I didn't expect dark feathers on the head. I'm hoping for a boy. I had a LOUSY, LOUSY second hatch from Catdance (not her fault...the eggs were perfect). Until I make an incubator like yours and Jer's I can't keep going through that hassle.

Before chickenstock, you and your DH were infectious on getting Polish. I have not regretted getting some...I definitely will be getting more!

Yeah, all of Bob's birds are going with him, with the exception of the ones we are picking up next week. I am not sure how many we are getting, but I know we will be coming home with a carload!

Quote:

hide.gif
gig.gif

I don't have enough information to disagree!
lau.gif

Quote:
Anconas, I couldn't stop bidding.....so they are being shipped tomorrow, I hope. I won the auction from bishopschickens.

I need to go and find a picture of Anconas...

edited to add...FOUND some! They are pretty! Any idea what egg color they lay and frequency?

They're supposed to lay well. IDK what color....white, I think.

Good morning everybody!
frow.gif

Out of 16 viable hatching eggs...we hatched out 3 silkies. Deja vu. One of the silkies had severe spraddle leg. (I changed the humidity from what we did last time...it didn't help.) I took a shortened pipe cleaner and made a splint (?) for her to keep her from doing the splits. I kept checking on her and she was doing well. DH came home for lunch and noticed she ended up face down in the water...drowned.
hit.gif
(Yes there were rocks in there to prevent this sort of thing.) Hatching is SOOO frustrating. I have been doing great with our own eggs, but not with ones I spend big $ on! Grrr.
he.gif

On the bright side...I have 2 beautiful new babies...a white silkie and a porcelain!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom