Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Two White Ameraucana Chicks - Hatched from "NoseyChickens" back in the spring..sadly I only have two left. Due to my dog, Gypsy, killing one of the pullets in the yard!
barnie.gif
hit.gif

47807_two_white_ams.jpg

Some Buff Orpington Chicks I Hatched Out This Spring - I hatched these BO chicks from my Hatchery Stock flock back in the spring. All these chicks were boys..except one pullet. All these babies died to the heat/preditors this summer. R.I.P. babies!! Then later on I sold my HS BO flock..I currently only have one HS Buff hen, J.T. and one nasty, ugly BO cockerel that is soooo ugly..but I'm unable to get rid of him because ever time I mention getting rid of him..certain little children start to cry...
roll.png

47807_buff_orp_chick.jpg

~Aspen

Very cute pics of the babies, Aspen. I'm sorry to hear they didn't all make it.
hugs.gif
My kids cry too, especially my daughter, if we have to talk about culling or selling birds. When we culled the attacking roo she cried for an hour. Seriously? She didn't even like him!

Last edited:
Quote:
I still cry when we process our extra roos. it never gets easy.

We butchered our first rabbit last night. That was an AWFUL experience. I really want to take raising our own food seriously, but wonder if the gut wrenching sadness that comes with it makes it all worth while? And to think I want to raise Dexter cattle for meat (and milk)! I'll never be able to live with myself!

Quote:
Congrats on the butcher, Muggs - I know what you mean, though. I've only had to dispatch one chicken thus far - she had been ill for some time, and enough was enough. I literally was sick after. Sigh. I wish I wasn't so queasy about this stuff, as I'd really love to process my own birds - I raise Jersey Giants, and they would be really great table birds....I would assume.
roll.png

Quote:
Congrats Meagan! That is amazing! I feel special now that I know a newspaper writer.
big_smile.png

smack.gif
Ha ha ha! You're such a goob!!!
big_smile.png

I want a link to be able to read your work, because I am a devoted fan. Is there a way that we can read any of your articles???
big_smile.png

Quote:
I still cry when we process our extra roos. it never gets easy.

We butchered our first rabbit last night. That was an AWFUL experience. I really want to take raising our own food seriously, but wonder if the gut wrenching sadness that comes with it makes it all worth while? And to think I want to raise Dexter cattle for meat (and milk)! I'll never be able to live with myself!

I had to 'assist' killing a rabbit once in 'survival' camp (I was in ROTC, don't ask). Horrible experience. I still remember the screaming rabbits. Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom