Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Quote:
A blanket? But they are wearing a down comforter.

I would never put a blanket over my birds. Pick them up and put them on the roost when they fall off in the evening, sure. Rearrange them on the roost so the babies are next to their momma, who wouldn't? Run out to find out what is going on when they crow to the motion lights coming on late at night, well, doesn't everyone do that? Take a flashlight and locate the stragler who never goes into the coop when it gets dark, yeah, done it. But a blanket? Not yet.
lau.gif

Lol!! Chickens make you crazy, right?
lau.gif
Well... here are the reasons..

The snow here is about a foot deep.

These chicks are only six months old (and never have been in the cold).

I don't have a barn.. just a little shed that I put straw in.

The chicks were all very cold, and I was afraid they were going to get sick (I lost one to the cold already
sad.png
)

Maybe I went a little overboard, but I really couldn't think of anything else to warm them up.
wink.png

Thats a sweet idea but everything i have read leads me back too. 1. chickens can take the cold much better than the heat 2. without heat they will toughen up and adapt quicker. 3 THEY wear down and don't need a blankie.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi.

I see you are in S. Dakota, but have Silkies.

I'm in one of the coldest and snowiest cities in the U.S

I've thought about getting Silkies, however , since this is my First year having chickens, I was afraid to.

I heard Silkies can't take the cold and snow even tho I have a well insulated coop.

I have All winter breeds and 3 ducks that are doing well so far , but I do have a Polish Roo that I heard can't take cold winters either b

I got him from someone who couldn't keep him.

Anyway, could you tell me how you make sure your Silkies survive YOUR winters , please ??

It would help me in future decisions about getting them.

Thank you

DD

I keep my silkies in the barn all winter, in runs. There is always at least one heat lamp on. It usually stays above freezing in there, and I tote warm water to my birds if it is below freezing .

Hi all!

I don't get on here much because I have been keeping my addiction under control. But I have a confession to make. I have 26 eggs in the incubator right now!!!!! Why???? I have no idea.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

This morning I looked at my Silver Ameraucana roo (thanks, Muggs and Daisychick) and my Naked Neck (Who I actually think is a Madagascar Game, she came in an assortment this summer), and thought "these 2 are going to make some interesting babies!" She has a pea comb and a nice bow-tie and slate legs.

I have 2 of her eggs under my broody and 2 of her eggs in Daisychick's incubator!

He is my only rooster right now, and I KNOW she is fertile, because she has triangular (beak-shaped) marks on the skin on the back of her neck!

70082_shadow_and_morticia.jpg

My broody got some help from my Silkie this morning!

70082_img00180-20111123-07322.jpg

hi i'm singingchickenmomma and this is my addiction story.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my girls. (they are very easy to fall in love with, even if I only have two chickens- bwahahahahahahahahaha!)
I talk to my girls.
Lady Amulet (or at least I call her Lady Amulet sometimes, if she doesn't want to be picked up, but she rarely ever doesn't want to be picked up) is a BO and she is my favorite girl of all.
So I talk about my chickens... and talk... and talk... and talk.... and talk...and talk more... then blab on about how much I love my girls....and talk...
Then once I catch myself out in the yard trying to get a good pic of my girls, I know I'm addicted.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom