Chicken Run Help

Mar 23, 2018
Worthington, MA
Hello Everyone! I have a couple of questions regarding my chicken run that I hope you'll be able to help me with:

1. I have a coop and run on the property I live on but it hasn't been used for a good 6 years or so. The ground was completely overrun with weeds - which I was able to get out. The ground is now just dirt with the greenery growing in. Do I need to put anything on the ground (sand, pine shavings, etc) or can I just let the chickens use it as is? I see so many different answers that I'm not sure what to go with.

2. The run itself needs work. I'm definitely getting rid of the weird gates and building something better. The previous owner used it for chickens and goats. The fencing needs to be reinforced but I also need to get smaller hardware cloth because this fencing is too large (it was electrified but that's gone now). There is a small overhang for them to go into when it rains but I'm thinking maybe we should just put a roof over the whole thing so it doesn't get muddy or filled with snow in the winter. Oh, and it's 24'X15'. Maybe I should just make the run smaller?

I'm basically doing all of this work on my own (my husband is a full-time student and works full time so his free time is very limited). So take it easy on me.

I'll be getting 6 pullets in May. I'm not planning on free-ranging them because there is no fence around the property (3 acres) and I'm afraid I will lose them. Plus predators.

The pictures are of what the run looks like plus what the ground looks like (plus an adorable pup haha).

Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• chickenrun2.jpg
    chickenrun2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • chickenrunfloor.jpg
    chickenrunfloor.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • chicken run.jpg
    chicken run.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
Have you thought about making that rain sheltered area a SECURE run for now?
I never thought of that actually. That's a great idea! I would have to put in a door for them to get in and out of through that way. That would definitely help in the winter too, that's for sure! When it's nice out they can to the uncovered run. *mind blown*

Thank you for that! It has totally increased my options!!!

With only 6 birds on all that space, I would do nothing for now.
But if things get muddy and/or stinky I recommend this:
Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

I'd advice against sand in coop....unless it's on a poop board.

Is the red circle the 'rain shelter' and the building the coop?
upload_2018-4-10_18-11-50.png

I'm not a fan of sand either.

Can you get pics of the inside?
I would for sure make a poop board for easy cleaning.
The floor...I prefer dirt floor/deep litter method.
It is so much easier.
What I am not sure about is if it is possible on top of the already wood floor.
I only just cleaned this out. It was used as storage. Planning on putting a new wood floor down because it's very old and weak. Need to put new hardware cloth up and clean it up still.
insidecoop.jpg

Think about aprons around coop and secure run.
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Also what about ventilation in the coop?
Are those eaves open?
Roof weather tight?
Floor in good shape?
Oops this thread is about the run.

The eaves are open - blocked with wire. The roof is completely tight - no leaks at all.

Think about aprons around coop and secure run.
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Also what about ventilation in the coop?
Are those eaves open?
Roof weather tight?
Floor in good shape?
Oops this thread is about the run.

Sand in stinky, works ok in a very dry climates(like deserts).
Depends on how you want to manage the manure.
This is how I do:
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

-Runs have semi-deep litter, never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom