Chicken Run Help

Think about aprons around coop and secure run.
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Also what about ventilation in the coop?
Are those eaves open?
Roof weather tight?
Floor in good shape?
Oops this thread is about the run.

Sand in stinky, works ok in a very dry climates(like deserts).
Depends on how you want to manage the manure.
This is how I do:
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

-Runs have semi-deep litter, never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 4 years.

I'm not a fan of sand either.

Can you get pics of the inside?
I would for sure make a poop board for easy cleaning.
The floor...I prefer dirt floor/deep litter method.
It is so much easier.
What I am not sure about is if it is possible on top of the already wood floor.
I only just cleaned this out. It was used as storage. Planning on putting a new wood floor down because it's very old and weak. Need to put new hardware cloth up and clean it up still.
insidecoop.jpg

I only just cleaned this out. It was used as storage. Planning on putting a new wood floor down because it's very old and weak. Need to put new hardware cloth up and clean it up still.View attachment 1333564
This is so fun!
So you want to make just that sectioned off side their coop?
Or the whole building?

You could make a roost bar up high with just a couple of nest boxes just below and the poop board on top of the nest boxes!

On the new wood floor you may want to buy a little bit of a roll of linoleum flooring to glue down on top of the wood.

This is so fun!
Or the whole building?

You could make a roost bar up high with just a couple of nest boxes just below and the poop board on top of the nest boxes!

You are amazing! THank you for all of this!

Yes, that sectioned off side was what the old owner used as the coop. She used the rest of the space for storage. I want to move that space back a bit more to give them some more room. There's no need for me to have that enormous space. I'd rather they have it - especially when winter comes. It can be harsh in the mountains of Massachusetts.

The corner you're seeing is where she had the roost originally. She had the nesting boxes on the opposite side. BUT the boxes are higher than the roosts were - which I thought was odd and will definitely fix that. I want to lower the nesting boxes - they seem ridiculously high anyways.

This is so fun!
Or the whole building?

I would also put a new coop door on that far wall to the right of the window. That leads directly into the covered run.

Keep the nest boxes lower for sure.
Then they won't want to sleep in them.
Block of the top of the nest boxes too so they don't sit on top of them and poop!
Is this sectioned off side attached to that outdoor covered area?

I only just cleaned this out. It was used as storage. Planning on putting a new wood floor down because it's very old and weak. Need to put new hardware cloth up and clean it up still.View attachment 1333564
Are you standing in a door way here taking this picture or is the an opening that is always open?

Think about aprons around coop and secure run.
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Also what about ventilation in the coop?
Are those eaves open?
Roof weather tight?
Floor in good shape?
Oops this thread is about the run.

The eaves are open - blocked with wire. The roof is completely tight - no leaks at all.

Back
Top Bottom