Chicken Run Help

I commend your efforts, it's nicely put together, but will offer some honest critique.
Long time designer here, trained to look for possible fail points, I don't mean to be unkind. The fact that you used screws will make any mods much easier.

Poop board looks pretty good, roosts may be too close to front and back, so you might have some 'misses'. Will you use sand and/or PDZ or...?
Is poop board/roost assembly attached to wall?
Might be a good idea to run a couple long screws thru back of poop board into studs on wall for stability. How long are roosts and how many birds will you have? Each bird should have about 1' of roost length...so 6' total for your girls.

That ladder will probably not function well, maybe for going up but not down.
IMO it's too steep and cleats are too far apart.
It might work out, but if not......
Double up the cleats, add another between each of the existing,
and put a concrete block, or something about 16" high, under the low end to reduce angle steepness. They may not even need a ramp/ladder...IIRC they have room to fly down.

I commend your efforts, it's nicely put together, but will offer some honest critique.
Long time designer here, trained to look for possible fail points, I don't mean to be unkind. The fact that you used screws will make any mods much easier.

I have no problem with critique! I welcome it! I'm doing all of this for the first time, so any information you could offer would be amazing.

I was wondering about the ladder. It was hard to tell how steep/not steep it should be in pictures.

The board/roost is in fact attached to the back wall. That thing isn't going anywhere :)

How far apart should the roosts be? They are about 45" long (I will have 6 birds).

I am so grateful for your advice.

I don't have double roosts ( not sure that's what one would call it) but I would guess at least a foot apart :confused:

You don't want the birds on the front roost to be touching the birds on the back one.

Back
Top Bottom