Chicken Survey

sophiaw00

Songster
Apr 27, 2015
Illinois
For my agriculture class I was asked to create a survey about an animal of my choosing to learn more about how it is raised in domestic and commerical settings. Last year, one of my assignments was to raise an animal of my choosing in a backyard setting to eventually profit off of them and I picked chickens to sell their eggs, so I thought the logical animal to choose would be chickens. I have just finished the survey and need some participants! I will create a presentation using the data recieved that I will share with my class. I would appreciate it so much if my BYC friends could take this survey for me. It's short, only 10 questions, but there are multiple short answer responses. Please do not feel pressured to go into complete detail or write in complete sentences. I just need anything that you think would help me and relates to the question asked.

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HWTCVXD

Thank you so so much from me and the flock!

Yes! Sorry everybody! We've been having a lot of technological issues here and had to get our computer repaired. It feels so good to be back on BYC!

The answers were great and very informative! I loved hearing about how everyone raises their birds, whether for meat, eggs, companionship, or whatever other reason.

There were actually quite a few answers that surprised me. For one, answering "yes" to owning a rooster was actually the top answer and I was under the impression that owning a rooster was uncommon. It turns out that more people that I originally assumed own (or plan to) a rooster. I also got 15 people that said their roosters were only for pet pourposes. That surprises me as well because even I, an avid animal lover, use my rooster for protection for my hens and not necessarily as my pet.

Owning chickens as companionship was the second most used response to their chicken's pourpose, right after fresh eggs.

Another surprising response was that when asked wether to treat or cull after an injury, only a couple replied that they would cull and many even added that they would treat because they love their chickens and they are part of the family. This shows me that there is a very vast (and increasing) number of people who are raising poultry as pets instead of use for food and livestock.

The survey was great and I really enjoyed this project. I got an A on it as well, so thanks to everybody who helped me out. I couldn't have done it without you. My instructor was very surprised at the results as well. He's been raising chickens for meat and eggs for as long as he could remember and had never even heard of owning them as pets until I brought in this survey. He didn't even know people named them! Funny thing is, the next day he brought in a picture of a wheaten marans hen and told me with a smile on his face that she was the first hen he named and that her name was Rachel! I think he looks at his birds differently now!

You are a precious young lady. Sometimes the road is hard.
old.gif
At 5, I drew pictures of my farm. Wanted to be a vet. I got a job in a pet store at 14. Flash forward 50 years, I didn't stop heading toward my goals. No $$ for vet school so I went to community college, then college, became a vet tech. Worked for vets (even a chicken vet), My career led me to managing an animal adoption agency, training and behavior, then Animal Control. That's a hard job. You said you worried that putting an animal to sleep might hold you back. At your tender age, I hope you don't dwell on that. It happens. Through your education, I hope you make peace with that. I can euthanize with kindness, to end suffering. That takes getting used to. Let that alone for now.
old.gif
Get as much education as you possibly can. There are so many careers and avenues available to you.
Bless your Mom for supporting you. Seriously. My mom would cringe when I drug a critter home, but always supported me.

I answered the entire survey. At the end it ran me back through from the beginning, I guess to check answers, but the entire last page was erased. Sorry, don't have another 30 minutes to do it over again.
sad.png

I answered the entire survey. At the end it ran me back through from the beginning, I guess to check answers, but the entire last page was erased. Sorry, don't have another 30 minutes to do it over again.
sad.png
Thank you for letting me know! I will try to fix it, and I completely understand. Hmm...I wonder why it ran you back through...

Cute chickens. I took the survey : )
Thanks a ton! Did you happen to have the same problem that @Wishing4Wings had? I just took the survey myself and I didn't but I want to make sure it doesn't happen to other participants so that this can be as easy as possible for everybody. I appreciate everyone who's doing me this favor by taking the survey! It really helps!

Quote: It ran me through again, too, and all the multiple choice answers were filled but the fill in questions were blank. But then I started filling the last page again and it if I put in the first letter the phrase would pop up. Like I wrote the "L" for layer feed and got written out answer popped up. Darn, I didn't notice if the breed fill in answer was blank. Well the breeds are in my signature in this post.

It ran me through again, too, and all the multiple choice answers were filled but the fill in questions were blank. But then I started filling the last page again and it if I put in the first letter the phrase would pop up. Like I wrote the "L" for layer feed and got written out answer popped up. Darn, I didn't notice if the breed fill in answer was blank. Well the breeds are in my signature in this post.
I just did it again on a different computer and it ran me back through again. All the fill in questions and multiple choice were still answered except for the last page - those were all blank. There's nothing on the page to edit the survey that can cancel this action out.

I just changed a setting that now makes it so that participants cannot go back to edit questions. Maybe that will prevent it from starting the survey over? IF the next person who takes it could let me know if that worked, that would be great. This is my first survey so I'm not too good at it yet.

Back
Top Bottom