chicken toys ??

Plastic bright colored egg = dull colored calcium based egg shell. Nah. Half the eggs aren't even that exact shape. Do we have to avoid everything even close to egg shaped or they'll eat their own eggs? I doubt it. They look way different. Mine don't even consider chick starter and game bird crumbles the same before tasting them because they are a different color and shape.

Chickens like most anything food based. I put suet blocks in hanging suet feeders for my japanese bantams inside.

To check brooder temps, I used an infrared thermometer (a little sort of gun-shaped gadget). It has a laser pointer so you can tell where the temp is taken. The chicks loved the laser pointer and would chase it around, pecking at it. I've also used a regular old $1.99 laser pointer and they enjoy that.

I hang "corn trappers"?? I'm not sure what the proper name is, but it is a metal holder for corn used to feed squirrels. I have 6 of them hanging in the chicken yard on bungie cords. The hens love them and it takes weeks for them to pick all the corn off. The best part is that they can get rained or snowed on without ruining the holder or the corn and they are inexpensive to buy.

What a fun thread!!!!

Are there any things that hens can have that CHICKS should not???

Also, a comment about dog bones. While these are fine for chickens apparently, PLEASE don't give cooked bones, ESP. Pork and poultry bones, to dogs! Dogs can easily splinter the bones which can rip open their insides:-( Raw bones are fine, as long as you don't have really strong chewers, who might crack a molar (I know this from experience!)

We put an old oak tree stump filled with bugs, grubs and other creepy crawlies in their run a couple of days ago. They are having so much fun with it. They play "Queen of the Mountain" - taking turns on top (2 or 3 at once). We have a covered run so they can't fly out with the added height of the stump. They also are eating all the bugs that peek their little heads out of the stump.
ep.gif

I read somewhere that you can use plastic easter eggs and fill them with feed and poke holes in them. They'll be rolling the eggs around to get the feed out. I got mine a couple of pet-bird toys but they don't seem to interested in them yet!

I never thought about anything with bugs in it - that will be my hubby's job to gather bugs as I am totally not into touching anything with more legs than my dog LOL ( gross gross gross )
I will try maybe an easter egg filled with treats I know mine go crazy over chesse (shredded ) maybe I can get them to "play" with it?

Back
Top Bottom