chicken toys ??

chickengirlnm

Songster
12 Years
Sep 4, 2007
clovis, new mexico
I know this is a silly question but when I was at wal-mart buying the dogs weekly toys ( they kill stuffed animals often and need new ones LOL ) I was wondering if there were such things as toys for chickens ? I dont expect them to play fetch or anything but is there something I can put in the yard for them to entertain them I dont want bored chickens.

I've added a few things to my girls' run based on ideas here (thanks!).
smile.png

Suet cage for holding greens and such. This is red cabbage, which they barely touched. But they do love kale, and today I picked weeds to put in there, which they also love.

19926_cabbage_cage.jpg

Cat toy ball (plastic) with kale inside:

19926_ball.jpg

Millet sprays hung from binder clips (nice and strong--they weren't able to remove the sprays from the clips at all):

19926_millet.jpg

New perches -- 2x4s attached to the 4x4 roof support, and one made from a 2x4 and 2 concrete blocks:

19926_perches2.jpg

you all are full of great ideas !!! i think this weekend when i go shopping for the house i will have to pick up at least one head of cabbage and some millet spray- thank you all i know my girls are going to love all these great "toys" of course my hubby thinks i have totally lost it wanting to give chickens toys LOL hmm you never know i might market my own brand of pet toys for chickens !!!!

Quote:
The bait store has 'em. It's a plastic cup with air slots and a plastic lid. Costs $2-4 to refill the tube, depending on how many crickets are in it. The bait store guy fills ours; no muss no fuss for me! Little guys just crawl around in the tube until the door holes are lined up in the lid and cup. Then they try to escape when they see that hole.

It's easy, clean, and provides protein as well as hours of enjoyment. Because even when it's empty they still play 'kick the can' thinking another bug must be in there somewhere!

It's a once a wekk treat for the peeps, since we don't want too much protein for them (they get other handouts). So I think $2 a week is pretty cheap!

I also cut down sunflowers, stem and all, and throw them in the tractor. They flay the whole plant getting to the tasty seeds. Another form of entertainment....

Howdy ~
big_smile.png

My girls have a suet cage that I found in the dollar section of my favorite grocery store. I stuff it full of whatever vegtable or fruit is handiest and they work on that all day. They eat more of the fresh stuff and not so much of it gets trampled.

I call it the fruit pinata because they can really get it to swinging and it seems to be pretty fair because it is difficult to peck out the fruit while elbowing another out of the way. Everyone gets to play.

Lots of fun!

Wendy and Fancie
cool.png

Personally I would NOT use an egg shaped "toy" with treats. I just might teach them eggs are good to eat, then you will have a whole other problem....with egg eaters. Lettuce on a string..( rope) or any treet that hangs is hours of fun! Also.....throw a beach ball in there...see what happens! At first mine freaked out, then they all took turns attacking and killing the ball! Poor ball....didnt have a chance. LOL

i'm so glad i found this thread!!!!
lau.gif

i'm always looking the parrot section at the pet shop to see if anyones invented
D.gif
chicken toys
D.gif
if you do invent some can you send some to me in the uk please!!! once my girls are in their now bigger run they will have a small tree in the middle of it but i'm gonna put a couple of logs in it and now the cabbage on the rope!!

DH thinks i'm mad, he just doesnt understand!!
idunno.gif

H x

Back
Top Bottom