Chicken Tumor in Abdomen

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I have a two year old Austra White that was acting off a few months ago. Couldn’t figure out what was wrong, treated her with everything I could think of, and she perked up (probably not because of anything I did, knowing what I know now).

She started acting withdrawn and had weird poop again this week so I took her to the vet. They did X-rays and said she probably has a tumor in her abdomen - that they’d expect to see an open dark area and it’s solid.

Gave me Meloxicam for pain - she acts normal again when on it.

Anyone had a similar experience? I just wonder how they know it’s a tumor and not infection of some sort. Although I guess they’re the vets and can tell by the X-rays. Poor girl - I have 16 birds and this was bound to happen at some point but I feel bad. She’s so young.

Attachments

• ABDOMEN1.jpeg
    ABDOMEN1.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 32
  • ABDOMEN1.jpeg
    ABDOMEN1.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 14
I am just wondering if the vet has much knowledge or experience with chickens? I am no expert on chicken X-rays, but maybe she has something else going on? Has she been laying eggs recently, or has she had any abnormal or shell-less eggs? Did they mention if she could have salpingitis or coelomitis (egg yolk peritonitis?) Cancer can be very common in hens over 2-3 years, but I hope that it isn’t that. With my hens, I usually did a necropsy on any I lost, just to see what had been going on.

I am just wondering if the vet has much knowledge or experience with chickens? I am no expert on chicken X-rays, but maybe she has something else going on? Has she been laying eggs recently, or has she had any abnormal or shell-less eggs? Did they mention if she could have salpingitis or coelomitis (egg yolk peritonitis?) Cancer can be very common in hens over 2-3 years, but I hope that it isn’t that. With my hens, I usually did a necropsy on any I lost, just to see what had been going on.
She hasn’t been laying recently, but also hadn’t had any weird eggs. Just stopped over the winter and didn’t re-start.

I am tempted to give her Baytril and see if it doesn’t do anything in case it’s an infection (unless there’s something better for an internal infection - I have about every antibiotic made).

The vet was a dog/cat vet who also sees pocket pets and chickens but not an avian vet specifically. They refer out for any specialized follow up and really only do the basics.

I found a broken egg in the nest box today along with some red blood (small amount). The shell color was hers. I’m still not convinced that it’s a tumor - the vet wasn’t an avian vet and the X-rays show something but it doesn’t look like a definitive mass. Maybe wishful thinking.

If not a mass, what else could it be? I have every medication out there and have started her on Baytril in addition to the Meloxicam just in case. They have free choice shells but should I pop her a calcium pill too?

Back
Top Bottom