Chicken TV works both ways

Do you want your chickens spying on you?

• Sure!

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No, it gives me the creeps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please post

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is really cute. Our deck is in front of the chicken run and when we stand in the window in the house I believe they can see us. When they want something they will stand right in front of the run and they know we are standing there in the sliding window. When they do this they are always balking at us like they want something.

Our run is not attached to the deck but they can see us if we stand in front of the door. As soon as I go on deck they all start to ask for their treats. I give them black oil sunflower seeds. I read it is good for their feathers. I believe that is what I read years ago. If I walk out the deck only two steps and I'm in front of the run at one of the entrance's. Other one is a little further. Sometimes I will spy on them by looking from behind our drapes and they don't see me. It is pretty cool.

Sooo cool! Love it!
Might consider a heavy curtain for nighttime so lights don't disturb their cicada rhythm sleep.

I see the light coming through the other end. Is their roost well below that? That could be a bad draft on them in winter rather than good ventilation. Do you have ventilation at the opposite end, the tippy top high end? If the window sill is higher than the roost their nature will be to continue to roost on the sill.

I'm grinning thinking about all the fun you all are having watching each others antics!

Yes, the light on the end is a vent. It’s about 18” over the roost. There’s no corresponding opening opposite. I suspect we may have to cover or baffle that one in winter, but we’ll see.

There isn’t room for all four on the windowsill! Maybe we will have to make them a roost there, but it puts them much higher and closer to the main vents! Sigh.

We don’t generally have lights on in the porch, but in winter, you’re probably right. It’s our entrance, and mud room, and we have a woodstove out there which seemed ridiculous when we bought the house but turned out to be very nice in the fall and spring, and terrific in the power outages!

I went out to the porch late and found Little Bird perched there. Maybe we can install a roost just below the window, out of the breeze!

BAFFLES!YES!
I did a baffle when I altered my original coop. I used a piece of plexiglas so it doubles as a window. I should have used a bigger piece.
20180927_170750.jpg

Adding some ventilation up tippy top wouldn't be difficult. Your top is a triangle. Cut a triangle hole up there both sides. Cover with hardware cloth. Add baffles. Voila! Just make sure it stops higher than their heads. Then again maybe with well covered baffles it won't be a draft problem anyway.
Baffles. Love it!:yesss:

Ok so who is who and what breeds?

It’s raining so today’s exterior photo is from a bad angle (from inside!). The vents are at the very top. We didn’t count on them roosting on the window sill, so the chickens are up higher than we designed for.

We’ll figure it out. Long time till winter.

In other news, they are apparently on hunger strike this morning. They virtually ignored the scrambled egg I gave them, their favorite! The Buffys are on the windowsill, looking in, and the other two just standing around. Luckily I bought Nutra Drench and started it last week, knowing this would be stressful.

In the picture at the beginning of the thread are Big Bird, Little Bird, (the BOs), and Calliechick, the GL Wyandotte. Blackbird (Black Australorp) couldn’t fit! There were all four on the sill earlier this morning, with much flapping and rearranging, but it doesn’t really work!

Back
Top Bottom