Chicken with bloated crop

azhnasa

Chirping
Jul 6, 2019
Hello friends,
I have a chicken who is not feeling well and doesn't eat or drink. She mostly just stands in a corner. This morning I heard a gargling sound from her mouth. I put some soft pressure on her belly ( crop ) and a lot of clear brown water came out of her mouth. It did not help with her condition though. It seems that she has some digestion problem. Can anyone tell me what this can be and how I can save this chick ? She is getting weaker. I need to get her to eat and drink. Is there a solution for digestion problem ?
Thanks.

Thank you. She was laying egg up until a few days ago.
Not sure how old she is, as I adopted her from a neighbor.

Yes, she was laying egg when I got her 6 weeks ago. She has access to grit. No, she does not belch and there is no foul smell in her breath.

What do droppings look like- pictures are sometimes helpful? She has laid eggs while you have had her? Do you know how old she is? Has she ever been wormed, or had a fecal to test for internal parasites? Does she have access to grit?
I would not feed anything right now except water soluble foods in very small amounts (regular chicken feed mixed in water), if she has a blockage then adding more to it will not help. Crate her, make sure she's taking in fluids, see what her droppings look like. If you can get a fecal test done, that would be good, might rule out parasites as an issue. Check her crop throughout the day to see if it goes down at all, or gets worse. Where are you in the world, generally? Helps in making recommendations.

I am in San Francisco area.
She has not eaten that much for 2 days so she hasn't pooped. But she had diarrhea the day before that. Yes, she was laying egg every day.
I have 8 other chickens. I have had chickens for many years. But I never had this problem.

Back
Top Bottom