Chicken with impacted crop?

Oct 16, 2017
North Carolina
We have a 2yro Americana cross hen with what Im 95% certain is an impacted crop. I found her outside just standing with her wings drooped, eyes opening and closing as if in pain and did nothing when I went to pick her up. She's a friendly hen but usually runs if you walk up to her. I examined her, suspecting either egg bound or an impacted crop and found that her crop was fuller than it sould be(this is around 1pm)bottom part of her crop was sort of hard and she seemed to react poorly to it. I currently have her in a dog crate on the porch with water, but no food. We have no vet nearby that takes chickens, however my mom is a Vet tech at in emergency clinic and has done a few surgeries At home on chickens such as bumblefoot and suturing up wounds after a dog attack. I've been researching ways to treat it and the best ways I've found to treat it is to first massage the crop and then fill it with water using a syringe to get the water directly into her crop to try to get her to regurgitate. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to preform surgery to remove it. Since my mom is a vet tech we thought she'd be able to do it if there was no other option. Are any of these bad ideas and are there any more treatments we could try?

Attachments

• 1555351807668-1064480913.jpg
    1555351807668-1064480913.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 42
There are those who are fans of using an oil, such as mineral oil or coconut oil, and those who say it gunks up the crop and can cause the chicken to choke to death. Giving water by a feeding tube or crop tube, then massaging the crop would really help. A feeding tube can be made out of a length of aquarium air tubing from a pet store or the fish aisle of Walmart, and a 35 ml syringe from the feed store.

Crop problems can be due to a mass of tangled grasses or hay inside, but may crop problems occur as a secondary result of a reproductive disorder (internal laying, salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, or ascites.) That may happen when pressure is on digestive organs. Crop disorders such as impacted crop or sour crop can keep the hen from getting nutrition and they will lose weight and sometimes die.

Does she lay eggs, is her tail up or down? Can you feel her lower belly between the legs to check if her lower belly is enlarged, soft, hard, or tight?

A feeding tube can be inserted down the right side of the chicken’s throat, avoiding the hole (trachea or airway) in the center at the base of the throat. In the picture, where the syringe is, that is where the tube goes.

upload_2019-4-15_16-8-18.jpeg

I just went and checked on her. She pooped, but it's all watery and white.She does lay eggs and her abdo men feels normal. It's not super squishy but it's not enlarged, hard or tight. He tail position is slightly down. She is drinking water on her own now.

unfortunately, she passed away overnight. We were planning on doing the surgery today because y mom didn't want to do it without pain meds. I tried everything I could leading up to the surgery, and she seem to be doing better until I had to put her back in the coop last night(we didn't have a good way to keep her warm, so I put her in a nesting box overnight to keep watch again I the morning. I found her In the same place this morning. While I'm sad we weren't able to do anything more to help her, I'm glad she's no longer suffering. Thanks for all of Ya'lls help!

Back
Top Bottom