Chickens almost electrocuted by waterer de-icer

Cluckerdoodle

Songster
Aug 22, 2021
Maryland
Today I noticed that the chickens were avoiding the water nipples. Eventually one of them went up to it and bolted back as soon as she touched the nipple. I suspected she was shocked. Long story short my volt meter confirmed that current was flowing through the water and shocking the chickens. The culprit was this de-icer. Do not use one. They can be deadly. Dreyoo heater found on Amazon.

IMG-5031.jpg

Today I noticed that the chickens were avoiding the water nipples. Eventually one of them went up to it and bolted back as soon as she touched the nipple. I suspected she was shocked. Long story short my volt meter confirmed that current was flowing through the water and shocking the chickens. The culprit was this de-icer. Do not use one. They can be deadly. Dreyoo heater found on Amazon.

View attachment 2977255
Ugh that’s kind of infuriating. im so glad nothing happened to your little buddies! Definitely get your money back and review. I would hate for anyone else to have this. I don’t know if this would work, but i had fish a while Ago and I used a tank heater for them. Maybe one of those would work? Good luck with your watering!

Water and electricity are a scary mix; I only use heaters as they are meant to be used, and aquarium heaters don't belong out there in below room temperature situations.
So glad you figured out that this heater was a bad thing, before your birds were injured, or seriously dehydrated because they couldn't drink.
I have had issues with aquarium heaters in the tanks too; one went nuts, long ago, and killed the fish by overheating. One actually had the glass break when the thermostat went below the water line, and killed, and one just quit working.
Mary

This sounds like the problem was more likely it was not plugged into a GFI. I would make sure any outdoor equipment is always plugged into a GFI. Older homes don't always have GFI protected plugs on the outside or the GFIs may no longer work properly. This is now required in all home today. GFIs are meant to cut off power in situations like that and protect lives. GFIs have a test button on them to test if they work. New GFIs now self test and will stop working if there is a problem. You can also get a plug tester with a GFI tester to see if your plugs are GFI protected. The GFI tester will only work on grounded plugs, because it trips them by connecting hot to ground.

Back
Top Bottom