making a heated waterer…tank de-icer or aquarium heater

DickMidnight

Crowing
Oct 23, 2021
i’m gonna make my chickens a heated waterer using a 5gal bucket and horizontal nipples.

what’s better? a tank de-icer or an aquarium heater?

also, this will be powered by extension cords. i was thinking of using a thermocube, but i don’t know if they’re weatherproof. anyone have input on that?

i’m gonna make my chickens a heated waterer using a 5gal bucket and horizontal nipples.

also, this will be powered by extension cords. i was thinking of using a thermocube, but i don’t know if they’re weatherproof. anyone have input on that?
I used a thermostatically controlled birdbath deicer that is compatible with plastic birdbaths (it has a build it safety cage). This eliminates the need for the thermocube.

It doesn't state it's safe for direct contact with plastic.
I would drill a hole in the middle of the lid, run the cord through the hole and figure out a way to suspend the heater about 1" from the bottom of the bucket so it never touches the plastic then always keep the bucket full enough to keep the heater covered.
this one actually floats and is described as plastic safe. id clip it with just enough cord to keep it from hitting the bottom though.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products...I,B0002IJXDA,B00B99U6PK,B07G9NPFV4,B000BXOGNI

I purchased at the Co-Op in Worland, Wyoming a bird bath heater ("Bird Bath De-Icer") which I attached to an outdoor/winter extension cord. It is placed in the water bowl (deep large black rubber) that I purchased at Ace Hardware in Worland, Wyoming. Heater (200 watts, 120 volts)only turns on when outdoor temperature gets to 45 degrees F or lower. This was an ideal solution and the chickens do not disturb it.

I use this stock tank deicer. It is rated for use in plastic. Have been using this for 6 years in a plastic tote and it has kept the water thawed down to temperatures in the -20s F.

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 9
this one actually floats and is described as plastic safe
Just keep an eye on the nipples, if you bought the one that floats. You may have a problem with the nipples freezing, if it gets really cold where you are. I saw it a few times on here, when using floating type. The water needs to be the warmest down at the nipples. A five gallon bucket or larger may warm up the top half and turn off before the bottom gets above freezing.

Back
Top Bottom