Chickens almost exclusively eating scratch

Pics
i keep a feeder with pellets for anytime they want to eat, then let them forage for a few hours in am and an hour in afternoon. I give them a little scratch to get them in at the end of day. They seem to be ok on this schedule... I will have to say i have backed off on kitchen scraps because the hens had become so darn aggressive --everytime i brought it out-literally would fly up and toss plate from me and attack food as if they had been starving--its tricky sometimes. I guess each keeper just has to figure it out for their flock.

i keep a feeder with pellets for anytime they want to eat, then let them forage for a few hours in am and an hour in afternoon. I give them a little scratch to get them in at the end of day. They seem to be ok on this schedule... I will have to say i have backed off on kitchen scraps because the hens had become so darn aggressive --everytime i brought it out-literally would fly up and toss plate from me and attack food as if they had been starving--its tricky sometimes. I guess each keeper just has to figure it out for their flock.
Wow, those little dinosaurs! I do believe the raptor gene becomes very lively at the mere sight of a "plate from the human's kitchen" 😋 🤣

I put out veggie scraps in the morning when I refill feed & water before I open the chicken door. I also leave 2 bowls of wet mash. They skip right by me and head to the feed bowls, and I go in and scoop poop. Prevents anyone from knocking anything out of my hands lol. I notice that my more timid hens will go to the dry feed first to avoid the wet mas scuffle, and will head to the bowls later once my more determined ladies are out of the way. Usually the bowls are empty around 10am and it’s just dry feed out for the rest of the day.

For the last two weeks they have only gotten the pellets and 3 tablespoons each of scratch, no treats. I removed all kitchen scraps from the run and they only go out to forage for an hour or two before sunset on evenings I can sit out with them, about 2-3 times a week.
I have tried wetting the food, they took a few nibbles and I had to dump it next day due to pooping in it. I cleaned it, put in some pellets and left it for three days, no other food given, and had to dump it due to being pooped in.
They take a few nibbles of the dumped food if they find it while foraging but if I feed them on the ground in the run it just sits there wasted. They do not have an issue with the feeder because they will eat every bit of scratch out of it if I put it in there.
I will take away the scratch and endure the chicken scoffs, thank you all.
Well I guess I have been doing way too much. I hang a feeder filled with layer crumble , and every afternoon I go on and throw around scratch. They eat both. I have 11 pullets and 2 roosters. They empty a feeder of layer crumble in about 3 days. Plus all the scratch I throw around. They are not free range because I live where there are too many predators , on the ground as well as above. I would be so hurt if something happened to them . But I want them healthy. Should I change the layer feed to all flock ?

Attachments

• 20220824_180346.jpg
    20220824_180346.jpg
    936.4 KB · Views: 5
Well I guess I have been doing way too much. I hang a feeder filled with layer crumble , and every afternoon I go on and throw around scratch. They eat both. I have 11 pullets and 2 roosters. They empty a feeder of layer crumble in about 3 days. Plus all the scratch I throw around. They are not free range because I live where there are too many predators , on the ground as well as above. I would be so hurt if something happened to them . But I want them healthy. Should I change the layer feed to all flock ?
If the feed is staying dry, it's ok if they finish it in 3 days. When it's wet it can mold.
I would keep the pullets on the layer feed and offer some all-flock or flock raiser feed.
My two pullets are about 30 weeks old and are just now starting to lay due to improper feeding habits.

Back
Top Bottom