Chickens are taking over my life...

oh my goodness they are so cute!
it’s nice to meet you. welcome to byc!!! :welcome
i’m dealing with similar situation here with my mum . God bless you.ps i would never leave them alone with the dog, not for a minute ieven though they seem to get along for now, that can change on a dime.
The dog doesn't get unattended access to the girls. That said, the dog, a total wimp is scared of the big ones. Sorry about your mom. Bless you as well. It is a life-changing experience caring for demented family members. It is always nice to connect with others who either do it or have done it since they get it!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

I know exactly what you are going through. My loved one with severe AD will be entering hospice care today.

It takes a lot longer than you realize. Recovery is a long, bumpy unpredictable road.

Trust me when I tell you that the gift of those chickens will be one of the best gifts you've ever been given. My chickens and my dogs have helped me through some very dark places and difficult times. I think you will have them always as they bring such a simple pure joy by watching them just being them.
God Bless you. Caring for a loved one is not an easy journey. My mother has also been in Hospice care for quite a while. Here in California, Hospice Care's guidelines were loosened dramatically during Covid. Because my mother wouldn't wear a mask, medical care was almost impossible. Hospice was a saving grace. Her condition is now quite severe. I do not doubt that when she does leave us it will be a mixed bag of emotions. I am getting a bit of feedback from a cousin who has had her mother with dementia with her for about 4 years. She passed on Sunday. I will keep what you said in mind as she transitions her life post-caregiving.

Welcome.
Wish you well with your mother and enjoy the company of the chicks. The third one looks like a cockerel to me. Because of the large red comb and he is starting to get more pointy sadle feathers.

About 50% of the eggs and chicks will be male. Or even more if you have bad luck. Many people buy sexed chicks because they don't want to deal with cockerels. The hatcheries / breeders do that for a price. You can try to give the cockerel to someone who can have him. And best of luck with the silkies.

I know many people, who start with chickens without knowing/learning about their needs and behaviour, often get (unwelcome) surprises . I wasn’t prepared enough either and had a few deaths because of my ignorance. Please start to read about chicks, integration, coops, etc. if you think you don’t know all you need to know. There are many good articles in the learning center.

FYI 8-9 weeks older chicks don’t go well with baby chicks. There are ways to let them get used to each other (start with see don’t touch) . I added a cardboard box in the coop with several small openings where the chicks could hide.
Thank you for the info. My son gifting me these chickens did catch me off guard! I had prepared and had read a lot, but it has been a jam session since. I will peruse the learning center though...once I find it! I had decided to put the chickens off until my mother passed. I had a coop and everything else I needed, so my son decided it was time. Most of the time I do not regret it. The biggest problem is watching and entertaining myself with them. Housework is suffering a bit! Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom