Chickens dying afer laying eggs

hi joysgirl,

It is great that you will help your friend reslove the issue, and sorry to hear that there is a problem. This article lists a lot of the causes and some of the cures for prolapse. I'm sure googling could dig up some others, and maybe even a byc search:

http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/800109288/Cage_layer_prolapse_causes_and_prevention_methods.htm

Here is another article:
http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1442

I think that sometimes it can be a genetic trait of a certain strain of chickens and not necessarially apply to the entire breed. I also think that sometimes some of the chick-level management could show up when the hens are laying---if the chicks didn't get everything that they needed during their growing cycle. I'm sure that there are a number of other causes, and I see from the article that the lack of exercise is one of them.....
Hope that you get to the source of the problem and everthing is resolved.

Last edited:
sad.png

We too have the same problem with our RIR's.
Bloody eggs followed by dead chickens with open vents
Dose anyone have new info?
We lost 6 of 12 in the last 8 weeks.

I had a. Barred rock hen I found today laying in her water bowl dead. My husband checked her trying to see what might have happened. Found an egg lodged where the eggs come out. Her intestines were visa pole. What happened?:rolleyes::(

I had 20 RIR pullets from last Sept. I lost one to prolapsed vent. I found her alive, but near death,I put heat on her and brought her back.4 days later I euthanized her, because she was not going to recover.
Im going to take a wild guess at whats going on.
WE are feeding young chickens calcium through layer feed and oyster shells to encourage eggs.
Some or these girls are just naturally smaller in the vent area. They need more time and need to drop a few soft shell eggs or small eggs to get things working.
By feeding them layer mash or oyster shell we are making the first egg a KIller egg.

It' always a chance you will lose pullets when they start to lay, but a small one, you may never have another one do this.

Back
Top Bottom