chickens dying

OpalRaven7

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Poughkeepsie
My friends chickens are acting fine, eating/drinking etc, but 2 have randomly died, I am wondering if it is mites... Any advice on what to do about that? we have baby chicks growing up to go outside with them and need to get this solved asap, also there are adult ducks that live outside with the chickens. Some one had suggested to me a medicated feed for the infested birds...?

Quote:
I wouldnt give them medicated feed or anything else til you can reasonably find out what your dealing with first. Sometimes medications can do more harm than good.
If you suspect lice or mites...all your friend has to do is pick her chickens up and visually inspect them. You can help her by looking as well because there's a good possibilty your baby chicks might have them too. Here's a link for you to read that will help identify lice/mites and how to treat them.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Yes she said she saw mites on them, so the coop should be cleaned out immediately right? has anyone had luck using the diatamacous earth to dust the coop and the birds with? Also mites are species specific but the chickens are kept with ducks and goats, will they infest the ducks/goats as well? The little baby chicks are inside the house still, There are now only 6 adult chickens, a bunch of meat chicks, and like 20 half grown chickens in the coop... Also the meat bird are suposed to be butchered in maybe 2 more weeks so what would be safe to use for them so the meat doesnt get contaminated?
barnie.gif
I hate creepy crawly stuff like this lol

Back
Top Bottom