Chickens eat fish?

LOL yea my chickens LOVE minnows I gave some live ones to them after we went fishing and had extra bait and they go crazy trying to catch them. My neighbor feeds his BIG fish.

How could a person NOT LOVE this forum???

I took my boy fishing today and just finished up cooking/eating the Rainbow Trout and Bluegill we caught. We are all finished and PLENTY of leftovers. My wife started to throw away the fish and I said "WAIT!!!" "Let's see what it says on BYC"

I looked at the threads and there it was!!!

So...My only question is actually my wifes question...What about the bones? Won't they give the chickens problems???

Cool...I can catch minnows all day.

I read something about oyster shells...we also get a lot of those wash up, can I just give them those? Do they chew it up or does it need to be grinded?

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. My boys went fishing yesterday, and our girls really, really wanted those fish scraps. But, although we knew they could eat fish, we were unsure about the fish bones. So we threw the fish scraps back into the river. The girls were broken hearted, LOL.

I have a supply of fish in my freezer from past fishing trips. I just cut the plastic bag ff and toss the frozen "fish pop" in the run. They love it on a hot day and it gives them something to do. They clean up every last bit. The heads have already been cut off. I haven't noticed any problems with giving them the bones.

I have read on here somewhere though that you can boil the fish which will soften the bones if you are worried. I did this with the first batch of fish I fed them. I just didn't like the way it made my house smell!!
sickbyc.gif

reviving this thread to ask if any one keeps feeder fish for their chickens. We had a natural die off in the guppy population of the tank and I'm wondering if it'd be a good protein source for the ladies without compromising the egg taste.

We have access to regular "fish drops"....55 gallon drum worth....from fishermen catching what they call rough fish(carp was one name). Anyways, how many chickens does it take to eat 1 a day? We will have 300 chucks soon (100 layers, 100 cornish cross for meat and another 100 of various meaties).... how often/much can I give them fish? I'd really love to save on feed costs but keep them healthy. Oh and they'll have an acre to forage on too.

Honey

Back
Top Bottom