Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd share a story about my Dad. He was a little kid during the depression, and although they always had enough to eat, food was food. He had some ducks that he thought were his pets, when it came time to butcher them, he threw a big fit and said he would not eat his ducks!!! A little later he got caught in the kitchen stuffing his face with duck meat! His Dad made him come to the table and eat it with everybody else and admit it tasted pretty good. He was not damaged for life, and this was always a funny family memory!
smile.png

How important is biosecurity, I have been at this for 2 years, both of my grandparents raised chickens, I just didnt care, have helped hatch(but didnt listen), collected eggs for breakfast(food), seen chickens necks rung, (my grandmother with Alzheimers even rung a neck of a prize rooster once, boy my grandpa really loved her, all he said was lets go in the house mamma).

Anyways how important is biosecurity, what precautions do the ot take if any, what about getting chickens form other breeders/neighbors.

Thats some wonderful info!!! Thank you very much. What do you vaccinate your chicks with?
Mareks Vaccine from Jeffers
I buy my chicks from MPC, who offer Mareks vaccine as an option for chicks, but unfortunately Silkie chicks are so small when hatched they won't vaccinate them, so now I do it myself. The next time I do it I'm going to have someone take some pics of the steps to make a tutorial. I know someone who tried to vaccinate on her own without guidance and lost every single chick in the process, which is tragic.

Medicated chick feed only protects against Coccidiosis. It DOES NOT protect against Marek's or any other disease. Medicated chick feed contains Amprolium.

Last edited:
just my opinion, but if you ask me ..it seems like big corporate companys flood info out there to detour such people form raising there own chickens ...i mean..if ever body started raising there own eggs ..the stores would be over flowing in eggs..years back ..(depression times) 33% of the folks lived on farms .today less than 1 or 2% live on farms ..thus we have to go to the big guys for our food ,such as eggs ...and they set in coolers for min.of 6 months befor they even hit the selves ..thus the value quality of food drops drumaticly..its all about the money ..not our health..raising chickens is as easy as changing your childs diaper.once you've done it once or so ever thing seems to fall in place (so to speak) ,,food.water..shelter..how hard is that lol

First of all I would like to know what type breed(s) of chicken would you suggest for a beginning city person, who wants mostly layers ? Next I'd like to know why? Also, can chickens eat snails, and if not could you give me a list of what the do eat (besides chicken feed)?

First of all- this is the first time I've seen this thread, and I've been on BYC since 2009. I've owned chickens myself on and off for over 30 years- this last batch since 2009. Although I was raised with backyard chickens, I didn't have my own (as an adult) chickens until the late 1970's.
Now thats a wise statement
I agree - a very wise statement indeed.

First of all I would like to know what type breed(s) of chicken would you suggest for a beginning city person, who wants mostly layers ? Next I'd like to know why? Also, can chickens eat snails, and if not could you give me a list of what the do eat (besides chicken feed)?
As far as what chickens can eat- a better question might be what they can't eat (the list would be shorter). Chickens are omnivores and will eat just about anything.
My girls LOVE snails - they also like small lizards, snakes, mice, and whatever they find in the way of insects, worms, grubs, etc. They eat leftovers and scraps from my kitchen - they LOVE yogurt, nuts,fruit and anything you eat you can offer your chickens. Just make sure you don't poison for snails or bugs- then that obviously would not be good for them, and might make them sick.
When my girls are molting I offer them BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) raw and in the shell- they gobble them up and it's a really good source of protein for them during that stressful time. I also sprout grains for them -wheat grass-barley- flax- oats and they love sprouts too!

On what kind of breed to get for egglaying and in the city. I would recommend a barred rock, buff orpington, rhode island red, or wyandottes,- there are many breeds that are good egg layers and have a sweet disposition.
Good Luck with your choice and have fun with your chickens! They are a blast and make life more enjoyable!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
First of all- this is the first time I've seen this thread, and I've been on BYC since 2009. I've owned chickens myself on and off for over 30 years- this last batch since 2009. Although I was raised with backyard chickens, I didn't have my own (as an adult) chickens until the late 1970's.
Dont think of it as being a late coming OT. Your really making a fashionably late entrance. Anyway I would think that all with sage advise are welcome and most advice is picked and chosen from. And that's as it should be as each person has their own unique situation and set up. There are so many threads out there and if people have very limited time it's easy to miss out on a good thread. I'm sure there are other OTs out there that don't have an inkling that this thread even exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom