Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.png

Funny thing here, I'm down to only a few I follow also. The rest seem to be things that have been answered here and in the FF feeds thread time and time again. I get weary of reading title after title after title that have been solved in just a couple of threads. Many times more than once, since reading the whole thread for someone just coming here takes so long. And no, I'm not being ugly here. It does take a long time. I'm lucky enough to have caught all of them when they were first getting going.
It has taken me about 3 months of reading to catch up. It was well worth it!

Sure.

I've got a wild one that I think is going to self-cull. She's little, and can't seem to accept her place in the pecking order. I put her in lock-down for 10 days, and 3 days after I let her out, she started roosting in the trees again, instead of coming in with the rest of the flock. It might be because she gets picked on, but I think she just was allowed to roost wild by the guy I got her from. I may be a bad chicken daddy, but I'm about to the point of just letting her sleep outside until something gets her. Maybe if it ever gets cold she'll change her mind about the coop.

I have a question for the OTs: which threads do YOU follow most closely, and why?

My #1 thread is this here front porch, as RachelsFlock put it :) I also follow, although less closely, the FF thread and the Road Less Traveled.
~*Cult of Bee*~ for sure!

Those are the same threads I follow, as very few other threads hold anything of interest to me. There are a few out there that I will post on on occasion, such as the Tell me something good that happened to you today thread or some such. I look in on the Heritage Breeds thread now and again but the breeding jargon is way over my country bumpkin head and I'm not a breeder...but the pics are sure nice to slobber over.
big_smile.png

Sure.

I've got a wild one that I think is going to self-cull. She's little, and can't seem to accept her place in the pecking order. I put her in lock-down for 10 days, and 3 days after I let her out, she started roosting in the trees again, instead of coming in with the rest of the flock. It might be because she gets picked on, but I think she just was allowed to roost wild by the guy I got her from. I may be a bad chicken daddy, but I'm about to the point of just letting her sleep outside until something gets her. Maybe if it ever gets cold she'll change her mind about the coop.

That's what I do with the wild ones. They either end up dead or they survive, but I've found I can't really change that nature...and something inside of me doesn't want to. I have a special place in my heart for the animals who like to be free and wild. If they aren't good layers I'll often cull them before they get taken by a pred but if they are a good layer, I just find their nest and collect from it every day, just like the inside nests.

OMG ITS HAPPY HEN DAY TODAY !!!!! Guess what I found in the coop just now ????

My first ever egg !!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
love.gif
clap.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

This just made my night after a horrible migraine at work & 12 hours at work.

They just turned 30 weeks old this week & I really thought I was not going to see an egg till spring......so glad I dont go in till 11 tomorrow so I can see if I can figure out who laid the 1st egg :) It wasnt in the nesting box but on the ground below it in a hen crop circle they made. I was wondering if all the hen crop circles I saw in the coop & run was maybe from them getting ready to lay.....now I dont know what I am going to do with it lol Might just blow it out since its my first egg ever
celebrate.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom