Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and I see I missed the gratuitous grandson picture!
big_smile.png

Maven beautiful chickens, That roo is stunning to my newbie eyes

I love all the hands on exploring and learning you are doing. If only all the new chicken owners on BYC were so diligent in actually learning about their birds and following through on what they learn.
fl.gif
That's what it takes, really, to learn better and more quickly...it's that hands on "feel" for what they look like and feel like when they are doing well that will let you know, just by looking at your flock, when something is out of kilter.

The more time spent in purposeful inspection and observation of the flock will yield so much more than just "chicken TV" or feeding treats and such. I'm very pleased and proud that there are newbies that are taking what they learn on this thread and applying it. It does my heart good!
Does that pertain to pullet eggs as well? I still havent eaten them. I have them marked as they have been laid so I can watch them for changes in texture, color & size. I find it pretty fascinating :) Yesterdays egg was still warm when I got it
love.gif
Its like Christmas every day that I find an egg......I dont think it will ever wear off
big_smile.png
But as soon as I am done staring at my pretty eggs I plan on taking picks of the yolks so the OT's can give me thier opinins on the insides. I have no store bought eggs in the house to compare it to

And on a side note my friend lives near a dairy.....I never knew fresh milk tasted so good....and the egg nog
droolin.gif
......I dont think I will ever buy store milk again !!

Last edited:
Well I'm still reading way back in the 600s so will have to go back just a few pages to check out this pop quiz thing. In the meantime I was talking with my mom the other day and she was walking down memory lane (she's 73) talking about how my grandparents always raised chickens then traded roasters for rabbit fryers from their friends down the street. One of the things she talked about was caponizing. But she was talking about inserting a little pellet under the skin on the neck of the chicken. I'm thinking this must have been some sort of hormone pellet. I don't think I've heard of this before and was just wondering about it. This would have been in the late 40s through the 50s.
I think that pellet was DES, which is a synthetic hormone known to cause cancer in women whose mothers were given it to prevent miscarriages. NOT something I'd want to eat !

Well I'm still reading way back in the 600s so will have to go back just a few pages to check out this pop quiz thing. In the meantime I was talking with my mom the other day and she was walking down memory lane (she's 73) talking about how my grandparents always raised chickens then traded roasters for rabbit fryers from their friends down the street. One of the things she talked about was caponizing. But she was talking about inserting a little pellet under the skin on the neck of the chicken. I'm thinking this must have been some sort of hormone pellet. I don't think I've heard of this before and was just wondering about it. This would have been in the late 40s through the 50s.

I am a year older than your mom, but I don't remember a pellet, but they had a surgical way of caponizing back then.

Walt

Maven,
I kissed a few toads and found my prince too..I am fortunate indeed. Got to love a man who loves to eat eggs and chicken and will indulge a woman outside all day long playing in chicken poop. I asked him tonight if I could reorder my script for the poultry press chicken magazine, and he said, aww hun, you can have anything you want.. you don't have to ask me about spending $20, you just need to talk to me when you want to buy a another $300.00 chicken.
love.gif
He still will not let me buy an LGD. Weird that I can spend $300 on a chicken but not on a dog.

In my opinion, that really has no value..I am not a Judge...As far as your tents..Most of them are good..one looks a little pinched, but nothing to my eye that says don't use this one.

big_smile.png

My Mr. has just been wonderful through all this chicken business. He's a keeper for sure!
love.gif

Bee, I want to take the quiz, but I don't know if I have the confidence to or not.
big_smile.png
I've been staring at those birds all morning and while I can see some obvious differences in them, I don't really know if I can judge which, if either is the better of the two or if they are just DIFFERENT. heh. We'll see, I may just sit back and learn from everyone else. But I'm definitely going to be watching for Fred's final answer!
smile.png

Thanks again to everyone for taking a look at my birds and commenting on them - that really is the best way to learn.
smile.png

big_smile.png

My Mr. has just been wonderful through all this chicken business. He's a keeper for sure!
love.gif

Bee, I want to take the quiz, but I don't know if I have the confidence to or not.
big_smile.png
I've been staring at those birds all morning and while I can see some obvious differences in them, I don't really know if I can judge which, if either is the better of the two or if they are just DIFFERENT. heh. We'll see, I may just sit back and learn from everyone else. But I'm definitely going to be watching for Fred's final answer!
smile.png

Thanks again to everyone for taking a look at my birds and commenting on them - that really is the best way to learn.
smile.png

If you don't feel comfortable posting your picks take it anyway .......just don't post it and see how you came out. It is always better to learn by mistakes........ .especially if there are no consequences.

Walt

Yeah..this is not a quiz to determine the best and the brightest. As always, a test is to see where the students are in their comprehension and what areas need to be addressed in their continuing studies.

In other words, there is no wrong answer even if you get a wrong answer because then the instructor can show you where or why you got a wrong answer~and that always leads to the right answer! No one is going to get an A or an F, but everyone who participates will be helping those too shy to participate by showing the typical answers, then those can then be discussed.

We can't simulate that as oldsters because our eyes pick out the flaws or the lack thereof as a matter of course and we can't even view these birds as one would with an inexperienced eye~we NEED y'all to do that for us so that we can help many more inexperienced eyes. You all are helping us to help others and that is always of value, whether you get a right answer or a wrong one.

Did I explain that right?
tongue.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom