Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just keep an eye on your flock. You will notice things that aren't right. Can you fix them probably but its just farming. Its never been easy. I care for my birds & go a bit out of my way to help them. Wrong or right I think I'm right. Their your birds you decide.

Here is my stab at 5.

1. Chickens do not need treats or warm mushy human food, served to them.

2. Chickens brains are not wired like a humans, they don't think about..... Gee that rooster sure is being mean to me. and they are not emotional like most prefer to think they are.

3. Chickens do not require names to survive, or diapers, or aprons.

4. News flash.......... chickens actually do much better outside not in the house lounging on your sofa leaving you a smelly little gift and scratching in the carpet for bug's.

5. Holding a chicken to your face WILL !!! get yer eye poked out.

7LFarm, I agree...in the end, the proof of your success lives out back. Healthy, shiny, producing flocks that don't get sick when a stiff wind blows is the 90 proof of chicken husbandry.

Al!!!
lol.png
True AL-type wisdom~flowing down! Love it!
big_smile.png

I also agree with it.....
cool.png

Last edited:
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
Poor gals! I've been spending all my life counting down the minutes until I can remove my bra each evening and someone gets the bright idea to put their chickens in one??? So sad!
lol.png

m.kitchengirl :

We "massage" most everything we say on here, being sensitive in this new era and all. LOL. If we talked straight like we did back in the day, you're gonna get us all in trouble. lau

I can't speak for all of us who are still trying to scratch the green from behind our ears, but I appreciate the folks on BYC who give it to us straight.

I won't name any names, but there are some characters here who may put things a little "gruffly", but who I PRAY will weigh in with some straight up, hard nosed, no-nonsense management ideas. P.C. is for folks whose hobbies DON'T potentially include beheading a named critter in the side yard on a sunny Sunday.

I'm going to subscribe, no need to "massage" this gal - except maybe my shoulders. I raked a whole bunch of hay all over the yards today & my back is burning.

Thanks Bee, great topic!​

x2, except I didn't rake any hay.

I'm not a total newbie, been raising chickens in my current location for 3 years. When I was growing up, I raised chickens from the time I was 8 until I was 18. Things are sure a lot more complicated now than they seemed to be then!
idunno.gif

When I was growing up, I knew what our farm animals were for - everything was utilitarian. Chickens were for eggs ... and chicken for the table. Our calves grew into beef cattle that were slaughtered. Our pigs ended up as bacon and ham. Only the dogs, cats, and rabbits were safe. The rabbits, I think, because my Dad had a rabbit as a pet when he was a kid, so we raised them and sold them. They were never on the table. They did provide income, though.

I want to hear it straight. I don't want flowery talk, or PC BS. I can respectfully understand someone who says they could NEVER cull/eat the chickens they've raised from chicks, because they're pets. I just wish they could give me the same respect when I say we process all of our excess roosters, and non-productive hens hit the stew pot. I want good advice on raising mine from those who have been there, done that, and seen it all a dozen times over. That's what I need.

From someone who has a "Front-yard" flock - no hiding who we are! And loving every minute of it.

I heard someone say beverages - come on, pass the jar!
wink.png

Quote:
You forgot bra's. (I just became aware of such a thing this past week
lol.png
)

Gee Kassaundra...thanks for that mental image I'll lay awake with tonight.....chicken bras....who knew? And more importantly.....who in the world came up with that off-the-wall idea? Geeesh!

Quote:
You forgot bra's. (I just became aware of such a thing this past week
lol.png
)

1. Guilty. Just today I mixed a warm mash of feed and a cup of quinoa - served warm. In my own defense, two are molting and look sooo pathetic. It's down into the mid 20s tonight and they heat their own coop.
2. Look into a chicken's eye --- that's all you need to know.
3. I try not to humiliate them by dressing them up or putting makeup on them. Although we did name them so we know who we're talking about. Three's my limit on names.
4. I imagine a house housing chickens will eventually have bugs in the carpet to scratch.
sickbyc.gif

5. PREACH IT, PASTOR!!! My poor DH learned the hard way that Chickens Like Shiny Objects. We treat them like a loaded weapon -- point them AWAY from your face!!
6. Bra? Girl, please. I'm with you, can't wait. First shoes, then bra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom