Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
http://bestsmileys.com/animals/7.gif

Now THAT was unnecessary!
tongue.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

Darkmatter...I simply LOVE the captions to the pics and love the pics! And I love seeing a coop that looks like chickens live there....I've seen some mighty pristine coop pics on this site~nothing...um.. splashed on the walls or on the nest boxes~ and I am always left scratching my head and wondering.."How?"...and even "Why?"
tongue.png

My coops have never been less than very well used looking and hold the remnants of many flocks gone by in the nooks and crannies, on the walls, etc.

I know but it's soooooo Dang funny I wanted to share it.................
hugs.gif

I loved it! Isn't it great that folks can make fun of each other and themselves without getting our panties in a wad? Er...I'm not accusing you of wearing panties there, AL, and not a one of us would judge you if you just happened to BE wearing panties, you know. Just a figger of speech....
big_smile.png

Quote:
http://bestsmileys.com/animals/7.gif

That is just too funny.

As a newby, it is good to know that I have done some things right and have the right attitude.

Back in the day, one would say that all of you OTs had common sense. I will contend today that you all have UNcommon sense. Our society and culture has changed that much.

Please keep this thread going.

I'll sure try! You all can help me, if you will. Dialogue here is going to move fast and getting those questions coming in will sure add to the flavor...please ask questions!
smile.png

Is a real roost pole an absolute necessity? I built this little shelter for them:

TheWhiteHouse.jpg

It's plenty big for the few hens we keep and I built it short on purpose so that their body heat would warm it. It has a plywood floor and I drilled a couple of 1 1/2" holes near the top on the east and west ends for ventilation. The south side that faces our house is open and the north side has no vent holes. We put a whole bale of wood chips on the floor. The cluckers use it mostly when it rains, if than. Should I put a roosting pole in it? If I do it'll have to be only about 4-6" off the floor. The hens seem to be happy.

I see questions and discussions about what is best to use as litter in the Coop----- Straw, hay, wood chips, or even esoteric things like cocoa hulls, rice hulls, and peanut shells. My Grandparents would die laughing about buying mulch or litter. Use what you got or can get:

36435_deeplitter2.jpg

36435_deeplitter.jpg

Quote:
Bee I sure wish I could say I did know someone still doing those things but....like so many goods thing..."this too shall pass". I do a few of of the "tinkers chores" when I can, and a fellow I work with takes in knives,scissors,garden tools and the like for sharpening. I'd really like to start a tinkers shop but so much of what we have today is not worth repairing(or made in such a way it can't be repaired!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom