Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also like to know about the alfalfa... I have 2/3 of a bag of rabbit feed but the rabbit died a few months ago... I know it probably has a BUNCH of stuff in it that would be bad in large quantities (but so is cat food) but could I give it to them to scratch around for?

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
X3 - And guess what? I'm a real life actual sociologist, so I would know! LOL

And I'm a real life actual Prof. of Critical Theory, so I'm just gonna bide my time till you publish an article on this in The Sociological Review.

wink.png

Huh. What's with the nun outfit, then?
cool.png

JK - all in good fun.

Quote:
Congratulations, Goddess! When's your due date?

lau.gif
Sorry, but I'm cracking myself up tonight. I accidentally picked up either Bee's or Al's glass a little earlier and.........

Quote:
Oh.. Of course not... Hmmm.... Never eat yellow snow...... Nahhh.... not good enough.... Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.... there ya go.. that's the best I've got....
lau.gif

Goddess
jumpy.gif

lol.png
Whew! I just read all 50 pages, many out loud to my husband. We have been laughing at many of these postings. You all are a hoot!

I do not have 20 years experience. I raised all sorts of poultry from the age of 10 to 18, then went off to college and am just now getting back into chickens. 30+ years later. I have little to add except:

When I decided to order some chicks, DH built me a coop and run, bought me 2 LGDs, and then I jumped on the web to see what's new. I've gotta say, I was shocked when I came on this forum. I would tell DH things I read and let him know (to his relief), these chickens we got are NOT pets, they are farm animals and will be treated as such. Thank God, I have been reading this thread and have learned that the raising of chickens hasn't changed....much.

Even though I was a "kid", I was in charge of the poultry. Every last one of them. Things were different then, and we kids were not coddled. We had many chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, and peacocks. In fact, I inherited the county park geese when they got "mean" and "bit" the little children or chased them. The county even delivered them to me.

We didn't have a coop, we had a barn. I never locked up a single animal at night. I had never heard of "scratch" until I got on this forum and just this evening learned what BOSS was (had to google it and it took some time). We didn't have chick starter or layer crumbles or pellets. Twice a day the poultry got cracked corn and that's it. In the winter when the water line was frozen, I carried two 5 gallon buckets to the barn for them as well. I lost very few to preditors as they roosted in trees and the hayloft. The one I did lose to a neighbors dog pi$$ed me off and the next time the dog came around a sniffin', it left with 7 1/2 lead shot in its butt, never to return. I was my dad's son before my brother came along, and so I knew how to shoot even then. We had a German Shepherd at that time that I guess kept the coyotes away, because I never saw any.

I never treated any with an antibiotic, wormer, or dusting of any kind and didn't have a problem. I gathered their eggs everyday (we did have nest boxes for chickens, whisky barrels for the turkeys, geese, and ducks).

When we wanted one to eat, well, that was Dad's job.

Every day, when I'd drive into the driveway coming home from school (or the school bus let me off prior to my ability to drive), every single one of the birds would run, honking, quacking, clucking whatever straight to the barn because they knew it was feeding time.

This time around, I wanted a coop because the coyotes, raccoons and opposums are very bold on this farm. They are all in season, and I don't believe in trapping and relocating. They threaten my livestock, they die, plain and simple.

If you will indulge me one more pretty funny story--When I was about 12, I had a slumber party. There were about 10 girls over and of course they had to go to the barn to see all the cool farm animals. Ok, great. I'm barefoot they are not. I remember vividly a couple of girls squeeled "Ewww, look at your feet!" as poop was squishing through my toes, my reply, "Well, I can hose my feet off, your keds, well they are stained." I don't remember any slumber parties after that! Hehe I just love it.

Anyway, I want to thank each of you VERY EXPERIENCED YOUNGINS' (as opposed to OT) for your words of wisdom. Beekissed, I want that book if only for your humorous way of presenting your topics! You have had me rolling along with my continued (lifelong) learning about chickens and life!
lol.png
lau.gif
bow.gif

Last edited:
I check for current laying status...I've mentioned this before but, yes, I glove up and stick my finger right up in there. And, yes..it's just that important!

Stupid question, but what exactly are you looking for there? Can you actually feel the egg? It's never occurred to me to check laying status that way...

ETA - never mind. I made it to page 28 and found the answer there. You people are making it very hard for me to get any work done around here!
big_smile.png
Love, love, love this thread!

Made it to page 36 (I really need to quit reading and get to bed!) and saw the comments on culling chicks. I have a confession to make: That's what I keep my DH around for. I just can't make myself do it, but I have no problem asking him to when it needs to be done, and he has no problem doing it. I'm not squeamish (squeemish? neither one looks right...), I just hate the idea of killing a vulnerable little critter. My first reaction is, "Oh, something's not right. I need to fix it." When I first started chicken keeping over 20 years ago, I hate to admit it, but I did try to make the weak ones better and the poor things ended up dying anyway - just not as quickly as they should have, and probably suffered. After awhile, it's easy to look at them and make the kindest decision for the bird. If my hit-man ever quits, I'll have to just suck it up and do it myself. But until then...
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh.. Of course not... Hmmm.... Never eat yellow snow...... Nahhh.... not good enough.... Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.... there ya go.. that's the best I've got....
lau.gif

Goddess
jumpy.gif

LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom